Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Horror...Thee horror!!!

Yesterday when I rolled in to take my shower, I opened the door and was revolted to find the show stall was full of sewage! One of the many nightmares a home owner has to deal with from time to time. And I am not going to wine to much about being a person with a disability but I am a person with a disability which is a fact of life. I cannot crawl under the house or on top of the house, mow the lawn, clean the garage without assistance. Dianne can only do some of this stuff and everything else we have to ask family or friends for assistance or we have to pay for the service to have this done.

I have to admit I was in shock for couple of minutes as my brain process the magnitude of the present problem: manly no use of the houses bathrooms. Then the trickle down impact and most immediate: how am I going to get ready for and go to work if the first thing to do is shower. I cannot shower. I did the only thing I could do and that was to take a” wash cloth shower” a sponge bath but with a wash cloth. I would just have to stay away from folks all day. I did wake up Dianne who started on a solution and I was out the door.

We have noticed a problem with the house plumbing for the last two months. The sinks began to drain slower and gurgles in the bathtub when the toilet flushes but as long as the amenity basically works we really don’t think much about the problem , just wonder about the problem off and on. Then couple of weeks ago the downstairs toilet started having issues with flushes, the bowel would just fill with water and would flush if plunged or if left to its own devices eventually go down. Since we rarely use this toilet for a host or reasons we did not think too much about issue of the “no flush.” Then last week our upstairs john started having to labor to flush but we finally plunged it down. We could not figure what the problem could be thinking and hoping the problem was the City sewer system.

The scene in our shower on Monday morning was a scene from a Stephen King novel. It was domestic horror: raw sewage floating in the shower. Dianne called and got quotes and went with one company by 1:00 o clock. Bob came out but found his tool was way to small had to call in his son Joey who had the big tool with monster blades, blades big enough to cut through four inch roots.

Joey did his job but it took three passes through with the big cutter to accomplish this. The water was flowing, drains draining and toilets were flushing all is well again. What is weird is the roots are from the weeping willow we cut down last September . Joey was a fountain of knowledge regarding tree roots and septic lines. “The grow even after you cut down the tree and you think they’re dead. It’s kinda cool.”

I don’t know why I don’t remember this because we have to get this procedure done to the sewer line about every two and one half years. Joey went on to say that we would most likely have to follow this schedule for sometime to come until the roots finally died out completely.

Dianne had done this horrendous task in less then four hours and got our life back to normal. Once again everything worked and life was good. There is so much I cannot do thank you Dee Dee for all you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Markalump,

Thanks for the cool comments...

I think we make a great pair, the two of us! You are such a great guy, I'm lucky to have you in my life.

We have made it through quite a bit in our days together. The good, bad and the ugly.

The raw sewage in the shower with a total block to the main line was one of the ugliest things we've faced. Good to have that behind us.

You answered my prayers. You've taught me so much about life and love. Our serendipitous synchronization is a most precious gift - a miracle for sure! You brighten my world, days and nights. I love being your partner through it all. Precious, cherished times with such a character as you!

I love you more and more as we march on through time, life, and experiences. You're my Great Groundhog, my Granite Marshmallow, My Jack Nicholsen, my love.

Thank you for being here with me.

All the love in the world,

Dee Dee