Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Clouds

Clouds" Printer-friendly version of this page


From the song "Both Sides, Now

Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

I love summer clouds, huge cumulus clouds, thunderheads cooking in the afternoon hit , rising to what seems to be miles into the sky. Whip-cream dreams brilliant against cobalt skies. This summer has been so hot, there has been too few clouds. Usually in this area of Utah we are in a monsoon pattern and we would have enjoyed many thunder storms by now. But not this year, days of cloudless hot skies with no break until this week. This week clouds finally started wondering in with promise of thunder, lightening and even rain. Nothing significant has happened until today, today I have seen the most organized grouping of clouds yet. I have even witnessed a few lightening bolts drop out of a massive thunder head which stood right over my office for the longest time.

I can loose myself for hours cloud watching, letting my imagination run rampant as the clouds boil up changing shapes. I try to gage how large the clouds are. The seem huge buy I am blown a way when, by chance, a plane will fly by the cloud mass and give reference to how massive this cloud is when the air craft turns to a small speck in front of a huge backdrop. I have never skydived but had a boss at one time who was into the sport deeply and skydivers have a term for falling through a cloud mass as “cloud punching” I would love to do this: zoom right through a 12000 foot cloud mass. But even more intriguing is what culture or civilization could hide in such a mass. Cloud masses could as cloaking devices for star ships , star fleets and even portals to other dimensions and times.

The weather guys indicates that after today he probability of showers will begin diminishing and the area will return to empty skies except for one lonely tracking cross the blues. We are predicted to hot our first hundred degree temperature days. The holiday should be near 100 degree as well as the weekend but no rain is forecast. I cling to the hope that meteorology is yet a long way from an exact science and what is predicated and what happens, often is two quiet different things. And a butterfly flapping its wings on the gulf coast of Louisiana might just well, bring about a monsoon in Utah.

No comments: