Friday, October 03, 2008

$6000!!!!!!

Wednesday I was called by my wheelchair sales guy, Brent, and he wanted to come by my office and show me a couple of wheelchairs which were in the category of chairs I had an interest I could not do it Wednesday but I knew I would be off work Friday so I had him set the display at my home at 4:00. This was a drag for me because it made me have to be sure home late in the afternoon, but Brent had arranged to have the Permobile rep in the area for that day and I did want to see these products. Remember I had pretty much decided to go with the Permobile Street and wanted to see one of these units. Then Last night as I was taking the train home I ran into my buddy, Andrew who drives a Permobile C500 which goes like a bat out of hell and is a massive front wheel-drive and really, is everything I wanted.
Scott was the Permobile rep and he got here right at four and began down loading the chair he was going to show. Scott is a nice guy, young but seems to know his business and informs me the Street actually no longer speeds up to 7.5 mph which I think I need but he can trick out the model to 6.5 mph which is slower then I want but considerable.
Brent finally shows up and we talk. I think I have mad up my mind, now I want a C500 with the whistles and bell, recline seat and elevator.
This chair is going to cost in the neighborhood of $30,000! My insurance will cover 80% which will be bout $24,000 leaving the $6,000 my responsibility: that’s a lot of tacos. At this point I don’t know how I am going to do $6000.00 but the lads did not seem to care right now. Brent measured me again and about different features and what I used a powerchair for in my day to day life. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the six grand and the fact non of the new chairs will do the coveted 7.5 mph. It seems the Permobile has made the decision to “top” the speed at 6.5 mph for liability issues which may not be a bad idea but I still want the speed. Then Scott suggests that perhaps he can scour the country and maybe out there somewhere is demo, an older model C500, which still has the older faster motors and I would have everything I want. Not only would I get the speed that I want but I would get a significant reduction in price since the model is older. I was delighted and gave Scott the go ahead and Brent finished up the measuring. I am still cautious and I doubt they will be able to find what I need. I am also concerned about the seating system. The seating system would be new and this be something is would have to get used to. I’ll just have to see what happens and hope my luck holds.
I hate change.

No comments: