Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More of the Same

Last night as I tried to watch TV our home was best with calls. I finally realized that it was not going to be a TV night devoted myself over to the phones calls, family phone calls. One of my kids is flying into the Salt Lake tonight and we of course are hosting a dinner at out house for gold Brooks our wayward son who has been "growing a business" in Washington State and is returning home for the first time since setting out to make his fortune a couple of years ago. Th call was a maintenance, letting us know when he is flying in, anmd where he is staying and what time is dinner. This call parcipitated to his sisiter and brother in law who were preparing much of the dinner, v So the first call was not bad but we essentially missed Chuck really no big deal--thank God for INTERNET TV where you can actually watch shows you missed, any time one desires. I actually just turned down the sound and basicailly followed the show.

The other call of the evening was much mlre truamatic, right after the eight o-clock hour, right after the begining of Heroes. My younger brother, Paul was on the line asking if I ha heard the news about Mom. I braced myself dor the worse: I knew she was eithe locked in near struggle for life, just holding on untill all the family could gather round as she let out the family mysteries or that Mom was already dead, the funeral was to be today or Wednesday anmd if we were coming could we bring some seven-up, funeral potatoe casserolle and a bag of jerky. I almost missed my dad's funeral because everyone thought someone else had called me. As it turned out Mom was still, indeed quie alive and doing well, so well, that she is moving back to Salt Lake the end of next week!!! Have the immediate family want to declare her incompentnent and the other half just says, let her go because she is going to do what she wants anyway, after all this is mom. Something is going on, and I am the last to know but that is cool. But it sounds to be that the deal has been made and details are all bnurt finished and Mom is South bound... again. This time to live with my mechanic and his wife( my cousins). The arrangement sounds dicey to me but they are all grown ups and family, I am just adopted and I wish them the best. there is a Rod Stewart song I wish I had access to which would make great background to this posting but I can't quite remember the song. All I know is I am loosing sleep...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who the hell wants to have her declared incompetant?? I'd love it if our family could be more functional, but maybe families aren't meant to be functional - maybe it's a fairy tale. And if someone wants to say something, please say it to my face

Carpenters' said...

love you...

Rachel B said...

Just adopted my ass. Besides Aunt Faye, you were the first Great-Uncle that I meton the Smith side. I didn't even know that you were adopted until much later, so to me, you are blood. Besides, being adopted means that you were chosen twice to be part of the family. You were chosen before the earthly life, pluse you were chosen again once you got here... Got to love family drama! Hope all goes well with Great-Grandma and You and your family. Does Aunt Diane still like Blonde Jokes?