Sunday, October 19, 2008

Just Waiting for Dad

>Mom elected to stay in Boise-I am writing this as an update to the post I did last week when I heard my mother was relocating again to Utah. Talk about a sucker punch, moving a 95+ year old women from a fairly safe environment, where she has 24 hour nursing care and supervision, relatively good food and a strong family support base to live with a family member’s family in a home which is not very accessible, but cold be. Granted the cousin has been a nurse and my other cousin is just a good guy who could and would make the situation work but I just don’t know if the these guys and that part of the family knows what they were getting themselves into. And I am not the family policeman, actually far from it. I am usually the last to know anything happening in the family and that is OK too. I really have my hands full with just my own little, immediate family with grand daughters, near and far, and kids everywhere it seems; so I try to keep my head down and watch the “bullets” over head. When I heard Mom had changed her mind and was not returning to Utah I called her to see how she was taking this decision and how the mess had got to the point it had. I found the decisions, she says, was hers, and that she was even barely aware of what was happening and to what level of preparations were being made or taking place. When I called my cousin, to where mom was supposedly moving he said the same. I am not sure but my mom and my aunt are very close and I know they talk everyday and I know the two can barely stand being apart from each other. They are the only two left in their generation, everyone else is gone and there are lonely for the mirror the represent to each other, seeing themselves in a better, clearer, happier time when ever they look at each other. So I figure in a moment of familial desperation, need and want they cooked up a plan to ‘break mom’ out of the ‘place’ and make a run for the border. But since their plan of escape relied so heavily on collusion of various family members the plan was bound to fail and in the end all they could do was to admit they new little or nothing of events which were transpiring. I think mom knows how good she has got it at the “home” where she is riding out her days working hard to be happy and content because that is what her kids and family want to hear. I am a parent I even now make silly sacrifices, the other day were out at a restaurant and she wanted a fairly expensive dessert , the solution was simple Dianne and I for went any dessert—what else could you do? So, I imagine Mom to some degree sighing and taking a deep breath as she starts removing her clothes from the suitcase and looking longing at the clock and her husband’s image.

No comments: