Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hang Time

I call the week between Christmas and New years “Hang Time”. Hang time is thesplit second in time when a ball throw in the air or a skater hurls up in the air seems to be suspended before gravity overtakes event and it begins to descend. This time between holiday feels, to me, like being suspended in time. I usually take the time off from work if I can. The risk is low there will really be few calls in the Call Center during the in between week and few people will be in their offices or at least any type of decision makers. So I can stay home and just enjoy this Hang Time.

Snow has been good for a Christmas, lots of the white stuff along with the frigid temperatures. I forget how cold. Like yesterday I had to get out because I was going buggy but to do so required me going out and shoveling snow from the driveway beneath the lift on the side of the van where the lift deploys. I wore just a heavy sweater and that was all I needed. So I dug out the van and cleaned off some of the driveway and warmed up the van and drove to the market to do some shopping. The market was OK, I found a spot down loaded and closed the vehicle up. I don’t know why I did this time because one of the reasons I leave the vehicle open and lift deployed is to discourage other shoppers from parking too close; allowing me the space I need to load up when I get down with my task. I should have done this but I didn’t. Sure enough when I was done with my shopping there was a little vehicle with “crip” plates parked right next to my big old van.
I clearly had been ready to go but there was no way short of asking a stranger to get in my van and back it out so I could deploy and load. As I said the air is frigid so I had no choice but to head back into the market and keep watch on the van and vehicle so that when it finally moved I could flash out and start my process and get gone. I was kind of hopefull that then owner of the vehicle was going to be one of those fast in and fast out job. But of course this was not to be. I sat there on the other side of the automatic doors 3watching cars pull in park get out and actually shop then leave while I sat and watched a car that would not move. Eventually, a person abut my age came through the check out with her very own “ancient”. Her mom obviously. I could have acted like a snot but I didn’t. I did, however, glare as they check out(which seemed to take an eternity). I was wearing a face hood so just my eyes were visible-so I doubt people could really tell I was glaring but I watched “hard” just the same. When I saw for sure this couple were the one parked by my van I powered out to the van and watched them load their groceries. The daughter finally felt the stare and turned and asked if I needed anything and I did say, “ JUST FOR YOU TO MOVE SO I CAN GET IN MY VAN”

So its Hang Time , the space in between. I am going to B&N today, Anakah spent the night and the sun is shining brightly on the new snow. I think I love Hang Time.

No comments: