Monday, October 25, 2010




I talk off and on about the INTERNET broadcast I do called Access Utah Now. A twice a month broadcast originating out of my office her at Access Utah Network. I feel I have been doing pretty good and have more the forty broadcasts under my belt but I have just about use up the obvious easy targets for interviews. Now, as I venture into year three I am having to dig a little to find organizations or people to interview. I put out a pleas the other day for folks interested in being interviewed to get in contact with me. So, I was intrigued this weekend when there was a message on my Facebook page from the coach from one of the local wheelchair basketball teams asking if his organization would be appropriate for such as interview. I answered message with a return message indicating that I was interested possibly doing and interview and left my number and requested that he give me a call.


I just got off the phone with Larry, the coach local ball team, who seems like a nice enough guy. We talked, I explained the show and how broadcast and I think basically sized each other up. I was not sure if I could this show. I have not been a huge fan of this team too much over the reasons, I think because they often considered the flashy, elitist team. The wheelchair team is directly affiliated with the local professional basketball team. As I understand it this team even has sort of tryouts, and real sponsor ship.

I worked for a long while in his city for the Independent Living Center and the ILC also supported a basket ball team of their own and Of course many of the members of this organization were fellow who, for one reason or another did not make it on the team elite. The street wolves were a rowdy, rag tag group of people with spinal cord injuries who backed down from no one or group. They were/are some what legendary. I had a number of pretty close friends on that team they made sense to me for the most part, even their self destructiveness to a certain extent. Many times players who started on the street wolves or Utes team would be cherry picked to the high end team.


I have to admit I kind of neglected the whole disability sport thing as much as I could choosing to focus on a couple of the”out bound” type organization. These organizations seemed safe and middle of the road but in speaking with th coach this morning I began considering interviewing this area of disability sports—why not just as I don't slant the interview or beat anyone up. I can also do another group of sports figures who have been generating some positive press. Murder Ball. A very completive and aggressive sport. I wonder how it would be to interview one of these guys. A little spooky but interesting.


Luckily, I will not be doing any of these interviews now until after the first of the year. Again I don't want confrontation as much as I want enlightenment. But maybe I am asking too much.



No comments: