Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Working It Out



I am sure somewhere in writing this blog I have used the analogy  of the dog who chases  the car and what would  the mutt do if he actually catches the vehicle? Well, I think I'm becoming that mutt. As you all know I have been involved with the Wellness program offered by the University of Utah physical therapy rehabilitation program. Again I am impressed with the quality  and the amount of good the Wellness program has done for me: I've dropped a little weight, trimmed up and got some definition in my musculature. This project has obviously been good for me to the point I want to keep going in the direction of healthy self improvement. The Wellness program is okay, actually it's damn good for what it does. Wellness offers a platform for folks with disabilities to take some healthy control of their lives by offering a weight room and quasi trainers to assist in their efforts at an affordable price for most if not many folks with disabilities. There are a host of drawbacks with this program but I believe the benefits outweigh the drawbacks to the point where my involvement with the Wellness program has become a major focus of my week visiting the program at least three times during the week.

So obviously the next step is leave your home to exercise if you could exercise at home?  I have been kind of searching the Internet for used equipment that would allow me to do the same exercise that I do at Wellness. To this end Dianne found a rickshaw listed on KSL.com for 50 bucks. This is a deal regardless of how you view the equipment or the price. I have endeavored this week and making contact with the individual who posted the rickshaw. We may contact and I bought the item, sight unseen except for what was listed in the” Classifieds”. The item listed looks like a rickshaw, not as nice a rickshaw as I see listed, but again, for the price very much worth the risk. 

It's the morning of Wednesday, October 30 and I am waiting optimistically for the individual to drop off the rickshaw. I'm a little spooked, not knowing what to expect for to put this piece of the equipment that will be worked out in due time. Dianne and I spoke last night and she is supporting the acquisition of an arm cycle here at the house. The arm cycle is a major part of my exercise regimen at Wellness. With these two pieces of equipment I'm well on my way to realizing a full-scale home gym. This excites me kind of. Dianne has also been researching neighborhood health programs and there is one really close in our community that has not only accessible weight/exercise equipment put a warm water pool and maybe even supports that would allow using the pool but safer than what is available close by in the public sector. If I were to get involved in one of these County programs, that is if they met my requirements for supported physical therapy, I. E. Working out then I would shed a relationship with Wellness/University rehabilitation altogether. This I have to consider more fully...hmmmm?


More to come…

No comments: