Saturday, December 21, 2013

Ho,Ho,Ho!!!


This last week was the Christmas/holiday party for the local independent living center, the facility where I worked for nearly 20 years. Somewhere along the line I started becoming the Santa Claus which would appear at these functions can have some candy canes or whatever facility came up with. Odd that even after my separation with the independent living center, as an employee, I'm still tapped to be the Santa every year. I don't have a problem with being St. Nick especially when I worked with the state and was able to take the time as part of my job function I. E. Community relations. Being St. Nick is easy duty. I just have to show up dressed in suit, provided, and pass out whatever they want me to pass out. The clientele is changed significantly over the years from folks with primarily physical disabilities to folks with developmental disabilities and some emotional disabilities which is cool because the Center has always been a cross disability project. However for whatever reason the phy/dis folks just about stopped coming but still fun.

This year is the first year I performed this role as a retired person. It's a bit different or it was this year. This year the Christmas function happened on the same day a fairly significant snowstorm chose to wander through the valley. The snowstorm was actually preceded by an ice storm which did a number on a number power lines in the Salt Lake area. Of course the independent living center was without power when we arrived. I should note great thanks to Dianne who drove me to the function and stayed with me for the entire event. There is no way I was going to be able to use public transit with a snow day like Thursday and of my chair being as gimped up as it is.

The Center had been without power all night. I was truly surprised there had not been any damage done to the building. But still there was no light and no way to cook the meal that was offered by the center to those who attended. Quick thinking by staff saved the day by accessing the camping equipment. The bill of fare was essentially breakfast: sausage, scrambled eggs and hash browns. Etc. The Santa event was held in the recreation area a part of the building with many great Windows and easily lit by outside light, the show went on. Fortunately for me, because of the snow very few people showed, comparatively speaking. We seemmed to be in and out that's all right by me.

This is the first year, as I said, I did the Santa gig and not charge the agency I happen to be working for at the time. This year my being Santa was truly a gift from me to the Center. I hadn't really thought of that until now as I write this and I guess it does make me feel sort of good. I kind of wish more the old clients, staff and community professionals who used to attend would've been there. I do miss them many times is the only time of the year I catch up with some of these people and I must admit that I don't get to see them I miss them in my holiday is a bit less. Who knows? Maybe next year I will see some of the folks I missed this year. Either Way, Merry Christmas!



Dianne and me

No comments: