Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Let Caution Mark My Way

Blog December 11, 2013 – – Wednesday

The weather has been monstrous the last couple weeks. We had a midsize snowstorm two weeks ago followed by dangerously frigid air. The first day after the storm of course as of Monday and I had to go into 211 to volunteer for my shift. I actually got caught in snowdrifts three times so severely that I had to rely on others for pushing out of the snow. I was okay though and was able to make my appointments that I have to admit I was a bit shaken and have began to a little in my veracity survive the elements as I used to. I have continued though to venture out in the cold. I am wearing socks every day however and I've defaulted to my giant jacket.

The storms of the past, no new snow but now I'm having to contend with the vicious aftermath and the Arctic temperatures. The streets and sidewalks downtown of course you no problem. Snow removal has been good and sidewalks have been cleared to all destinations I interested in. It's when you get out in the residential areas that snow removal becomes iffy. In many places there's been no snow removal at all on sidewalks forcing me to roll in the streets which is okay if I leave early in the morning are traveling between rush hours. Of course the snow plows, as always, has pushed the snow and ice into the curb cuts making accessing sidewalks and crosswalks challenging at best. Case in point yesterday morning, midmorning I was bound for my Assist, Inc. meeting and caught my front casters in the snow ice flow coming off the sidewalk crossing State Street and 5900 S. I actually sat in the curb cut trying to rock my chair free of its icy grip. It was only again, after three people saw me struggling and stop their vehicles got out and pushed me free of the ice trap. I was truly grateful. I don't know what's going on with me I used to have contingencies for these kind of situations. I just don't anymore and that worries me.


So now I am traveling more cautiously I will not push my luck by crashing through the ice flows like I used to. I travel with a cell phone that I can reach you try to go wherever I go in daylight. If I travel after dark I just am more careful and doubly cautious. Such is life after retirement.

No comments: