Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Just Remembering



I have a service which sends me a listing of the obituaries as listed each day in the Idaho Statesman, my hometown paper. I know it's morbid but I kinda like to keep tabs on who is there and who is not or maybe its an “old guy” thing, because I know my best next door neighbor, Al does it too—it a bit easier for him since he was born and raised here in Salt Lake City. Al, served in the Great War, Al has been around but Al is quietly mourning his life passing and these old friends are part but they are not even his finds just hundreds or even thousands of folks in his same time slot. But I digress. Last week I noted that Tom Breen had passed. I have included the Obit with an image.

I really did not know Thomas Breen, he was two years older then me be Tom was kind of a legend at the Jr High attended. He was in the age group of Tom Cantrell, the older brother of my best friend. Tom C. of course was my friend by association. Tom C and Tom B were legendary to me, they were “big kids” they knew they're round school and life, had real jobs in the summer and were bigger then life. I have noted with interest that what seems like a of folks from Tom C.'s niche are beginning to pass. Danny Bartlett, Tom Breen and others I cannot remember right now.


I don't really know why this is important to me. I woke early this morning thinking I need to write this posting and put it up today and now I cannot get a handle on it but I am going to post it anyway. Maybe we all need to reach out today remember someone and let them know you're thinking of them...






Thomas Vincent Breen
1949 ~ 2014
Tom passed away peacefully at home surrounded by family on February 4, 2014. He was born July 22, 1949 to Vincent and Nolene (Peck) Breen in Boise, the first of five children. He attended school at Garfield, East Jr. High, Boise High, and BSU.
Tom worked for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for over 40 years, mostly as a Fire Fighter. Later in his career, he worked as Fire Lookout at Bennett Mountain and a single engine air tanker manager. Fighting fires with BLM throughout the years resulted in many lifelong friendships.
Tom had a good life that was full of adventures. Among the highlights are 25 years of fighting fire on the rangelands of Idaho and the west, surviving an errant fire retardant drop that crushed his truck, injuring him and a co-worker, spending the summer of 1968 in New York City after graduating high school, traveling six weeks in Europe with his girlfriend, countless NCAA basketball tournaments throughout the country, and some great bicycle rides with close friends. Tom enjoyed participating in and watching sports including basketball and cycling. His bicycle was his pride and joy. Tom was also a lover of literature and a voracious reader.
During the last several months, after being diagnosed with cancer, Tom spent time with many of his close friends who gave much support that was truly appreciated. The strength and courage Tom showed through these past months was inspiring.
The family wishes to thank all his friends for everything they did to enrich his life. We also thank the staff at MSTI, the nurses at St Luke's ICU, and Hospice for the loving care they provided.
Tom leaves behind a loving family; mother, Nolene; sister, Ann and her husband John Chronic; brothers, Kelly, Rodger, and Bryon and his wife Kim; nieces, Chloe, Erin and Kelsey; nephews, Sean, Nathan, and Bill; and many aunts, uncles, and cousins.
Tom lived life on his own terms up to the end. In keeping with his wishes, no formal services will be held. However, a celebration of his life will take place on Saturday, February 15, 2014 from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m. at the Stone House (adjacent to the Ram Pub, 709 E. Park Blvd). His ashes will be spread at Bonneville Point on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:30 a.m. (weather permitting) and again at a later date. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/idahostatesman/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-breen&pid=169522709#sthash.tP37CIf3.dpuf

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/idahostatesman/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-breen&pid=169522709#storylink=cpy





1 comment:

Dianne said...

When I first glanced at your blog summary, I thought Al our neighbor? So much going on these days, my focus, again, is self centered. I love you, love your posts, your soul, and your humanity.