Friday, February 28, 2014

Leap Marriage



If you have been following this blog for the years I have been posting you all know that Dianne and I got married on Leap Day 1992. Leap day that year fell on a Saturday, which was also the second day of the month which means we were also trying to consolidate both our house holds so we would have to pay another months rent. We did it and the action was not even as traumatic as it feels it should have been. But that was a long time ago or was it. By Leap year standards that blessed event was but four and half years ago but feels like twenty two years to me.

These twenty-two years we have witnessed our kids become adults, all of them. We claim six kids, four biologicals and two by loving default. School plays, baseball games, Tae Kwon Do, school concerts, soccer games and soft ball games, graduations, marriages, blending families and grand children. Vocational traumas, and awards retirements and refocusing life energies. We sent a kid on a mission, supported parents through their final years and yes even buried them. We took part in our neighborhood which has been our only hood in these decades, Christmas functions, fourth of July celebrations, Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas feasts and years where holidays were spent alone. We have neighbors we love and mourn their aging and soon demise we have neighbors we are not so sure of but enjoy their presence most of the time. We have had more computers, cars and van then I thought possible. We have both spent time in the hospital for one challenge or another and we are still here. We have done our duty when required-hosting kid and family at our home for however long, drive mothers to medical appointments, researched out any and all medical family members might need. I think we have played well in this symphony of life not first chair always but always together.

Twenty-two years in the blink of an eye, I wish there was more time or we had met younger so we could have had more time together. I am old now when I look in the morning mirror. People revere me as an ancient. I wished I looked as good as Dianne does and will continue. I am blessed in that Dianne is one of those women who look better and better as they age. No matter though how well we look and feel I see the Reaper more and more often when I turn quickly. Hopefully not today or tomorrow but soon. I hope we have many Leap years ahead of us being strong, independent and pain free.

So whether it is twenty-two regular of 4.5 or Leap years we are glad we got connected by that misplaced phone call however many years ago.

1 comment:

Barack said...

well, that was a mighty good post.