Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Drive a Spit up my Butt and Call Me "Porky"

I tried to  get some physical therapy yesterday—I make it sound like I just dropped in on a clinic and asked for pt BUT in actuality, I have been trying to access this PT since before my Philly trip.  Now, mind you, I have been using a wheelchair of some sort for the past 40 years: that’s a long time. As I have aged I have noticed my body changing and most important, to me, I am loosing my upper body strength.  Insidiously, but losing strength all the same. So, I finally decide to make the leap and sign up for some since I have the medical currently and I have the time.  

I spent the morning, yesterday in Utah County doing a presentation at Utah Valley State College (UVSC).   I  was distressed driving my van down to hear and feel a weird noise emanating up from the floorboards.  I actually should have stopped at the onset and drove my vehicle straight to the garage I use for vehicle repairs. I did not though, letting my commitment to UVSC over ride my common sense. I have to report I came out of the experience OK. Just dumb luck or divine intervention.  I still have to drop the vehicle off for evaluation. I know it’s going to be expensive just by the way it sounds.

So, I have the van, I leave work at 4:00  to make my 4:45 appointment at my Health provider.  I am 5 minutes late but that is cool. The P.T. unit is located in the basement of the health delivery facility. I forget it is later in the work day and find the facility heavy with employees and few consumers. I sign in at the desk and am asked to wait: typical.  I find a bathroom and re-dress and when I come back I m met by a guy and gal.  The is a registered P.T. and is definitely in charge and addresses a young blond all business bomb-shell . The PT explains that Christy will take an in-depth history during this session then they will both visit with me to see how best to proceed with good physical therapy services. So, the PT turns me loose with the other PT Christy, who is very young, very blonde and very intense. We go to the “big” room where it will be easier for me to get around with my chair. She furrows her brow and begins asking me all kinds of questions relevant to my case—this goes on for some time and finally she steps out and confers with the other PT and Christy then returns and tells me she they cannot help me at this clinic .  She continues to state that she is just interning here at this clinic and will not be round long enough to really spend anytime on my case. I really need to go to a P.T. shop where I can be round staff that work with spinal cord injuries.  No one at this clinic has this experience.  Really, I would think when someone in a power chair rolled in that someone should considered that they might need neurological PT—someone could have ended the meeting right there and referred up to the University Medical Center Rehab Center. So now I have to go back to the Ortho surgeon and have him refer me to UoU Rehab Center.

Also so, should not someone have enlightened me that this was a P.T. Intern and that I or my insurance is paying for price for an intern to just refer me to another clinic in their vast service? Why did not the real P.T. not advise me of this. I don’t mind being the training pig as long as I get something our of the BBQ except a spit up my butt.

No comments: