Thursday, March 02, 2006

More

The stewardess  was getting very antsy, arms crosses and pacing back and forth in front of the cock pit.  Finally the pilot came back and gave me the bad news. About the same time as the grim faced jet driver got to me m to me, I noticed the ground crew had just brought my power chair up…in pieces. The captain then informed me that my chair  was dead. It was at this point I had to get involved. The chair looked tipsy that is true but I doubted the chair was dead.  I had them bring the dorky, super-wide airport chair up and had them  throw me into the chair and I went to investigate them problem.  

The chair pieces was stacked on top of itself like a bad sculpture. I could see cord, important cords were un plugged. So I began to supervise the “rebuild”  By this some airport hotshot had gotten involved. He was Ok he took my direction very well. Soon the connections were made and the chair lit up. But the chair would not engage—no forward motion.  I hat the guys check the clutches and sure enough they were not engaged and when they were I was powered but the seat of the chair was not engaged.  Securing the seat meant that I was, once again, manually lifted out the chair and the seat pulled off the power chair and reset back on and secured with pins.  This took another 40 minutes but eventually was completed and I was off. Then I could not find Dianne who had left to find get the van from Long Term, parking. It was another hour before I found my wife or my wife found be with the help of the white courtesy phone. It was 11:30 PM before we finally got home. But, we had survived the trip and even had a great time.









No comments: