Wednesday, March 15, 2006

INFO FAIR


SO goes another Information Fair. I am doing OK, I was getting pretty wasted at the office by mid after noon but driving over to the high school I must have gotten something of a second wind. I elected to "jet" the photo exhibition I just could not do it. I left work and went straight to the High School. I was one of the first to arrive.

Have the ingredients to our table display boiled down to one plastic milk crate. The milk cartonworks great. I can hook the hooks of one of my bungee cords for stability and take the stuff anywhere--and best of all in one trip.





So here is our table set up and ready to go. I admit the table is a bit Spartan. We do have the standard pencils and other trinkets needed to lure the natives over in an attempt to wow them with information and hopefully seduce them into utilizing our program. The host agency has taken to offering the vendors who show up to these info frenzies treats now. Tonight's bribe was the cute bamboo stalk in the low left hand of this image. There is a better image of this a couple of pix down. We also gave away, pen flashlights, refrigerator magnets and sticky pads all emblazed with out log and contact information.


This is a shot of a set of parents who have been trapped by the folks at the table next to us. This table was a company who did all the administrative junk in the management of a person with a disability who might not be able to or might not wish to manage their own lives. Interesting these guys would actually do all the paper work like payroll, holding out taxes, and other aspects of personnel which might be too challenging for some folks, yet be able to let those be 'the boss" in the hiring and firing of their support staff.








Colors attract all small animals and our pencils always suck em in. This was a cute little kid. She must have been 6 or 7 and was acting as the interpreter for the family she was with. She came up to the table a number of times before she asked if she could have a pencil. I have thought many times if a parents or a child was astute, they could acquire almost off of their school essentials at these information fairs held round the valley. There are four I know of giving away pencils, pens, sticky notes, rulers and all kinds of stuff. You would never have to buy pencils if you stocked up every time you went to a neighbor fair. Many of the tables are laden with literally piles and piles of candy. I did that too in another life now, I just use trinkets. It seems cleaner.



This chick was really cute--she DID have a shoulder bag and she was systematically filling with every kind of writing device she could pick up. Both of these kids did this funny little ritual of hovering, making contact then asking if it was OK if they could have what ever was on the table.



The night was Ok and a good source for comp hours to use to extricate me from the office early on Friday afternoon. I did not feel as good as I wished I might have. They passed out way too many cookies and pop. I wished for some sort of protein--Murray usually has Pizza now that works just fine. Maybe I'll make a suggestion for next year.

No comments: