Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I am exhausted

I am exhausted and I still have hours to go. I have an Information Fair which will last till 8:00 pm this evening. The fair starts at 6:00 pm which means I have to actually get over to the high school well before to set up which means I have to leave before 5:00 pm. Then there is a photo exhibit( set up by Developmental Disability Council) which is to open at 4:00 pm and run till 7:00 PM. We(staff) have been asked to attend . I just do not know how I am going to pull all this off. I cannot see me loading and down loading my power chair into or out of my van anymore times then I have to. So, I am going to passively sit back here in my office till the rest of the staff leave for the library, where the open house is to be, then, I’ll quietly roll out to my van and over to the high school and set up the display and hang out for a couple of hours then go home and crash.

My office is so weird. The front desk person, Angie , got word yesterday, that she had been hired by another State office. Angie has been a bit of a trouble maker for the past year or so. In fact I am somewhat surprised that she has lasted on staff here. There is real tension between her and the Director, plus Ang has a bunch of disabilities affecting her attendance and performance. I don’t know what transferring to another work site will accomplish except put off the inevitable. Actually I think some of her disabilities are somewhat fatal and if the girl does not settle down maybe be dead in a couple of years. So, actually, she could “bounce” the State system until she has to leave the work life if she even gets that option.
Anyway she is gone as of the en of this week an I torn. I actually like Angie in a lot of ways. We have got along very well. But, because of her high incidence of missing work there has been a lot of stress placed on other personnel in the office who had had to cover for her. Normally that is not so bad I do not mind covering for my worm mates from time to time. But the girl did something last week which made me wonder. In short she left a magazine open to an article critical of the boss, where the boss could see it and the boss did see the article.! The magazine was left in the back conference room which is close to me and my partner’s office. It would be very easy to conclude that either I or she had left the article there for the boss to see. My partner was freaked and I was a bit nervous but I was not worried. What gave me pause that Ang should have taken that into consideration that someone other then her might have been harmed by her action. Obviously Ang did not care what happened to the rest of us.

So as guilty as I might feel I guess I will join the front office in celebration of Angie’s successful transition from this work site to her next. I hope she will me more loyal to that staff then she was to this…

No comments: