Monday, March 20, 2006

Welcome Spring





The morning was wet and chilly as zipped out he door to work. I drove the van up to the train station today just because I could. The snow falling was light more obnoxious then seriously provoking. I could have driven the chair but I wanted to stay warm and dry. Even with the van factor built into this morning’s equation I was running late and I tried to build in some extra time but still was rushed to the point that I forgot several key items I really wanted to pack this morning: my train reading book aka my “training book”, my filler checks for my bankbook and most of all I left my CAMERA!! MY CAMERA. I never leave my camera. I drag that with me everywhere I go. You can never tell when the perfect image will present itself. Luckily , I did not forget my cell phone which does have a camera built in—though I rarely use it. This morning on the train I fought off “camera withdrawal” by taking clandestine images of fellow train passengers. I must now learn how to download the images to a useable hard drive to I can up load to my blog.

Our front desk woman is gone. She started her new position today up at the university. The front desk is empty. The pictures of family and friends, which used to cover the walls are gone. The plants are gone, drawers emptied and the whole room left in a mild disarray, an empty defiance that’s says, “once I was here and now I am gone!” It’s weird though, it’s like someone died at the office and no one id talking about the death. Actually, my partner and I have been talking about her and there is that kind of guilt associated with our discussion reserved for those who have died. Close huddled, hushed discussion, even though there is no one else in the office, about the girl’s less the illustrious work history while associated with our office. Her constant coming in late, office disappearances and three giant mistakeswhich should not have happened more then once. She was cruising, skating on thinner and thinner ice until she could find another position. I really think the reason she was still on staff was because the boss is a social worker by training and still sees her self as such and could not terminate this person regardless of the trauma which this person may have inflicted on her. If there are any words spoken they are words of relief and excitement at having launch a search for her replacement. Management hopes to interview applicants next week and hire by the end of the week and hopefully the new person can start immediately two weeks at the very least. So, life moved on as the rest of the staff came in this morning and went their various ways taking great care to avoid her office: Just an empty room where she used to sit.


No comments: