Friday, July 14, 2023

Let Him Down Gently

 I just finished a semi- awkward task of emailing a friend of mine advising him that I was really not interested in a wheelchair cushion which he was offering me. This was such an odd offering to begin with still trying to figure it out. The guy's name is Tim and I don't know him that well. He's one of the Paras( paraplegics that hang out and play ball with the Salt Lake Street Wolves. An independent paraplegic basketball team ran by the paraplegics on the team. This is quite a delicate / complicated topic and one day perhaps I will write further on this concept. But anyway that's how I know this guy. The company that I worked with Utah Independent Living Center was the sponsor of these guys, As I understood it, so we often went out to their games to show our support. These guys were interesting folks many of which like to go drinking after the games/ practices or whenever. There are a couple times I went with them but I always felt like I third wheel. I didn't quite fit in with the group. My wife at the time was pretty interested in the team so in supporting both I went to a couple of the extracurricular functions.


With the Advent of more social media particularly with Facebook and some of the other platforms it's been easy to communicate with some of these folks that I never have before. I know Tim and I have sent a couple messages back and forth more just salutatory ideas you know Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, whatever holiday might be there. But that's been the extent of our relationship. I was kind of surprised that Tim even realized I was on Facebook still. I've been keeping kind of a low profile over the last couple of years. No particular reason just that I can't think of a whole lot to say to these people anymore or I don't have a lot to say about myself on the public side of the platform anymore. I'm not sure what that means, probably just another age indicator. Actually I just heard back from the gentleman and he was more than diplomatic regarding my refusal of his offer. In fact he shared with me that he had issues with the cushion as well and could never really use the cushion himself. I thought that was very interesting to know.


The Rojo cushion is a Top Model, high tech, piece of disability equipment. The cushion itself is made of the number of individual pockets of air that really cushions the buttocks. My problem with the cushion is that one it's expense and two that it's pretty unstable for somebody with limited trunk control as well as transfer capabilities. It's hard to transfer on and off of almost to the point of being unsafe. Perhaps the biggest issue I have had with the Rojo is that as I understand the pockets of air they're all hook together so when one goes the all go as far as when one ruptures and deflates the whole cushion is affected. Over the years they've tried to limit the amount of problem by keeping just sections of the cushion integrated but still when one of the air sacs deflates you're left with an almost unusual cushion even if you have 3/4 of the cushion still intact. Anyway, I ramble. Don't get me wrong the Rojo's a great cushion especially if you're trying to either heal from skin breakdown or prevent skin breakdown. It's just not for me

No comments: