Friday, November 25, 2005

Battle stations...Battle Stations!!

I am in the office a half day. I opened up and I am the only one here. It’s kinda nice. Quiet and warm here in the furthers back room of the office. I forgot my camera today. It got used it a lot yesterday at the dinner. Oh yes the Thanksgiving dinner. I hopefully posy images tonight and tomorrow for sure.

You all may remember me gloating about how, I had Thanksgiving” sewn” up with having to bake just two pies and show up at my brother’s house. It’s my own fault. I should not have said anything but late Wednesday morning Dianne calls informing me that my brother ( host of Thanksgiving dinner) is down super sick with a viral thing ad there was no way that my 91 y.o. was going to let herself be exposed to such risk. My sister in law was going ahead with the meal since her daughter’s family was sill coming over since her daughter and the kids were already ill from being exposed earlier and that my family was still more then welcome at their home. I said I appreciated the invitation but we would pass too and tryi to avoid this disease process for as long as possible. So, Dianne and I discussed and decided to offer the emal—after all – at out home!! BATTLE STATIONS BATTLE STATIONS…SHIELDS UP WE’RE GOING IN!!!!!

Dianne dug the turkey out of the freezer and tossed the cryogenically preserved 22 pound fowl into the Jacuzzi and turned it all full blast. We were up till 12:30 a.m. making the pies, washing dishes and figuring out the game plan. I was up at 5:00 am, I wanted to get up earlier but could not drag my self in to my chair at 4:30 am. I went back to the Garden bathroom and sure enough, Big-bird, had thawed and was ready for cooking. I used one of my hooks to fish the butterball from the tub and rolled into the kitchen and started the preps. Dianne got up a littler later then I and wanted to use a recipe she had found from Alton( Good Eats) Brown article oh how to roast A turkey. The procedure was involved but not too bad lot of cooking the bird at different temps at first, making tinfoil breast plate and being vigilant—but the effort was worth while and 4 ½ hours later we had one of the most perfect birds we have ever roasted.

The meal was planned to take place at 1:00 pm…Mom was coming up from Santaquin at 12:00 with her sister and brother-in-law to Sandy Ut where the hand off wa to take place. We sent the son-in-law and, GD,. Gabriel and Aunie out for the handoff.\ while we did final preps at the house.

I am amazed the whole thing went off near perfection—how rare? People seemed to genuinely be having a good time. My son Mark had to work but his wife and daughter joined us later in the after so we had representation from his fam and during the day I was called by Michelle. And Mark did stop by after work and had some pie. So I heard from everyone. We had most of the dishes washed and the left-overs stored away by 4:30. Dianne was exhausted I was feeling the day but not enough to nap at that late hour. I watched TV did some “Demand” movies and congratulated our selves for a meal well served.














No comments: