Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I Get Caught in the Minutia

Day 22


I have been trying all morning to figure out how reset the clock on my office phone. It’s one of those super phones with about 15 million features, non of which I use. I do not even program in messages telling, people who call, where I am or when I will be back. There are a couple of folks in my sphere of contacts who do this religiously. I really envoy them its just one reason why they get huge amounts of money and I just scrape by.

I hate reading the Telrad phone owner’s manual which tells you everything but this one specific task. I know that when some idiot wrote the volume he though it would be entertaining to leave this one direction out. Knowing full well that at least twice a year you might need to get into the phone system and change the time. I even think about calling the “Support number” to see if there really is someone at a cubicle somewhere whose job it is to help people reset their clocks. But, my cynicism leads me to believe that more then likely the number leads to a dead end phone sitting on an unused desk at corporate headquarters which just rings and rings and rings like the opening pages in Dalton Trumbo’s Johnny Got His Gun.

I just got back from a trip I had to take across town. A women in a wheelchair is in town staying at this ancient hotel which is just barely accessible. I rarely get involved in direct services any more but she had a compelling story and she is close by so I decided to head out on my lunch hour and head cross town in my power wheelchair. I was not really to help the lady too much—her case is a long and difficult one but she is a survivor. What really got me excited was this hotel—I have been in this town twenty years and I thought I knew about all the cool old places butt his one had passed me by. The place is old and accessible but a very complicated accessible. You have to know the secrete passage almost. You have to go out and down the alley and into the back and through the garage the use the elevators. Really cool. I plan to put some images up. Then I found a great Chinese restaurant. In a building I have been interested in years about seeing the inside of. Well, today I did and it was wonderful..images to be inserted soon.






No comments: