Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ahhh King!

I just returned from Barns and Noble where I returned Christmas presents for the third time. I received a 25$ gift card from my boss and I used them to purchase a couple of gifts which were not what the folks wanted. I returned them a couple of days ago and got a more desirable gift and had enough left over for two paperbacks. I have not had anything new to read for so long. I have been getting by with an Orson Card compilation of science fiction and his stuff is good but I can only read so much of his material. Reading Card is like reading science fiction lite. So I got a couple of books I thought would really keep me occupied for the next couple of months only to find, when I retuned home, that I had in fact already read them. The reason I made this mistake was that yesterday when I went to B&N I took my granddaughter with me. I should have known better then to think I would have got some serious perusing accomplished, with a 7 almost eight year old in toe. When I shop, I have t have time, time to look at the volume I am contemplating, time to hold the book set the book in my lap and feel the books weight and rollround as I explore other possibilities. I approach buying a book like everything else I purchase. I agonize over the decision, will I make a mistake, will I experience buyer’s remorse? I cannot enjoy this type of agony being pestered at how long we have been there, when we are leaving and will you buy me this book? So, I grabbed a couple of volumes from a writer I know I like and headed for the checkout stand.

Today was bliss in comparison, albeit after I got the strange look manager, that “hey weren’t you in here yesterday exchanging stuff?” I just dumped the bag with her and left. I rolled all over the store, this B&N is one of their mega stores which replaced our quasi-quaint corner store I had loved. I sniffed the coffee, dodged kids and checked out what was on the “giant discount” tables and read backs and backs of books. I stopped the science fiction sector but soon I was over whelmed with new titles by authors I know nothing about-not welling to take a chance on a piece of fiction. So much of what today passes for science fiction, new age studff or magic or hobbit material. And I do love my Tolkien but don’t try to pass this stuff off as science fiction. I was about to give up when I wondered over to straight literature. And found myself facing the Stephen King section and even though King’s stuff is labeled “Horror” I have to admit like the Kings tells a story. I also did take a chance on a write I did not know from beans, a novel of military intrigue, high tech and action this should get me through and I know I have never read this guy before.

So I am home and I have something great to get lost in for New Years. The weather freaks are calling for snow tonight—TV sucks so maybe I’ll be with Mr King, warm and reading.

No comments: