Monday, December 03, 2007

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF DISABLED PERSONS!!

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF DISABLED PERSONS!! I have been up at the University all day celebrating the event by sitting at a table passing out information to students and medical professionals at the University. University is always great duty to begin the work week with. I am out of the office, at the university, were youth abounds, and easy access to a pretty cafeteria. The only problem I am experiencing is I cannot depend on my power wheelchair. Even after charging the stupid batteries all night I am seriously cranking down the light on my power level meter dropping the lights until I am thriving on one light blinking red and that is the danger zone!!
I have been spooked all weekend worrying whether I’ll make there and back again without major support. My van is still in the shop so what ever I use to distribute I am going to have to get up to the U on my own. Actually I solved that part of the equation early this morning right after I got to work by see some folks from Rehab was going to participate in the Information Fair too so I was able to get the guys by the office to pick up my things and drop off at my table. In a flash of last minute panic I threw my charger in the materials box so , I hoped, I would be close enough to power outlet O would be able to charge my batteries while I sat at the table.

I was about half the way down on my power meter when I got to the information table and there as no outlets anywhere close to my table. As the light meter continued to drop I flashed on an idea. The out patient Rehab unit, I had frequented all Summer, was literally the corner from where we were sitting. I decided to bolt and see if Rehab could assist. I transferred from my chair to one of the rehab units chairs, a very nice rigid frame, and had them plug my power chair in to one of their chargers. I was able to get a solid two hour charge which really “lit me up”. I’m back at the office now and all is well. I have not even plugged my chair in since I got back all lights are strongly lit and I am confident I have the power I will need to get home.
I have had two competent folks tell me I have a bad core, or battery of the two I am running on. Ken from UCAT tells me they may even have a battery they could replace the dead core with which could really help me out until I can get new cores after the first of the year when my insurance kicks back in. So, maybe on Thursday or Friday when I have my van with the new loft back and running , then maybe I’ll drop by UCAT and they can install at least one new core.

That’s how I spent my INTRERNATIONAL DAY OF DISABLED PERSONS—this is verbatim, I know it should be INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES. People first, always people first.

No comments: