Monday, August 17, 2009

It’s All Process

One of my favorite places to go on the INTERNET is a website out of England called http://www.apparelyzed.com/index.html. This website is for people with spinal cord injury…like me! Al though Apparelyzed.com is an English website there are folks all over the world members of the webste and a lot of yanks too. Like I have never a working (real time) relationship with anything English and now, I have come to realize that England is six hours a head of my mountain standard time and I always astounded at how late those folks stay up as represented by those in the chat rooms when I am late at night like nine, ten or even later.

I rather, quite enjoy interacting with others with disabilities from other areas gives m a fresh look at life and especially their lives and struggles many of which are the same as mine. I feel connected. The other day I answered a question about’ “Grabbers” a piece of assistive technology used by people with disabilities to reach things. I indicated I made a grabber or reacher, I call my devices hook because of the hook in the end. If you take a moment and search “hook” in theblog search you will find looks of references to my hooks. Well, I gave small description of the hook and the process I used in manufacturing these devices; especially the working down the wood scrape I have access to. Well, I noticed the other day I actually ha comment to one of the posts I had left on the site and the comment was about the working down of the wood ‘blanks I make. He comment was something like why don’t I just go buy oak dowels? I had to stop and think a second and I ended up writing back: It’s the process. The process of turning or trimming the edges of the oak blank, making the wood smooth and round is what I like doing. I enjoy spending morning and evenings in my garage wood shop working the wood and finally drilling the start hole and twisting the hook in and making the hook. I don’t know if this crip from across the pond will understand this but the joy is in the process.

No comments: