Thursday, March 15, 2012

Zing A Little Here Zing A Little There…

Yesterday was my A.T Council, a group or board I have been involved with for almost 20 years now here in the Salt Lake area. A. T. Stands for assistive technology a big issue for folks with disabilities, and the folk rehab machine. The Council used to be a pretty big deal actually it was the a. T. Council and with the called M.I. or management implementation board. All the big players in the community attended folk rehab director, Spanish director, representatives from the major private nonprofit agencies and programs of service folks with disabilities were also part of that program. This or do lunch a really good lunch and I still do but the membership dwindled quite a bit over the years. Now we're just a shadow of our former selves to kind of a drag. Interesting to note though, may the players who now attend A T Council are Part of the agencies that have cut the funding my program allowing my position to disappear. I'm finding it challenging to have to see these people on a weekly if not monthly basis, as I make my rounds, to these various meetings. I see the score, I can tell they are uncomfortable, and something has to be said of knowledge situation I find myself in now. I'm intrigued that when I speak of the events of this last legislature which led to the final demise of my position how angry and self-righteous these individuals seem to be. Just curious and I'm hoping that I do not come off to pitcher in these meetings I would hate to be a pariah. Good friend of mine is a director of an assistive technology program across the valley and he attends these meetings as well as I. I texted him yesterday just so I could get a reality check on how I seemed to be coming across at this meeting. Kent indicated I seem to be okay in control of the situation, not striking out and not acting as if I am seeking vengeance. I do want to be vengeful. But I am finding I just may be harboring more anger than I anticipated and as I face a number of these players I cannot help but launch zingers here and there. It's kind of fun, probably not healthy but fun.


No comments: