Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Transition Week




It is the holiday, the fourth of July and of course I'm home having finished my first two days in my new workstation. I am pleased that I took Frank's suggestion and took a couple days off before starting this new position in doing so over this national holiday which falls in the middle of the week. I'm sensing that this holiday week is a bit laid back at this private nonprofit agency. Holiday, vacation and the general populace being beat down by heat and the holiday week know better than to call until next week. In fact July, in many cases, is lost too many service users in Utah due to the double holidays of the month.Still this hyphenated week is a good week to transition in two 2 1 1.

Already, I am sensing that ebb and flow of the rhythms of this new workstation. I have to admit I'm quite surprised at how new this program seems to be regardless of the history this program has experienced. Josh P the previous director with whom I am most knowledgeable ran a great shop I don't know why everything seems to be some new now even their transition into the software IRis, the different directors and managers of I&Rs in this area have been talking about this software for years, possibly decades. But, this is a great thing for me because this I R seems to be brand-new which means they will overlook my inadequacies as I transition in. I sense I'll be able to do things here.

I am also sensing or potently than ever that I am in fact still State employee and I hold onto that when my current host speaks of me as part of their staff. Not that I would mind being part of their staff it's just that I have more power as the (loan) staff. I just have to exploit this to my own ability. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this aspect and to see how far I might be able to push my loaned status. I am hoping my new boss will see that just here till February and cut me abroad breath. I don't plan to nefariously use this "card" but half an hour for lunch, intimidated the use vacation are lose hours, and lunch with staff I plan to use them do. I don't have anything to lose and worst-case him he throws I asked out and I am back on Claire's step. Again, this is holiday talk, I don't think I'm that stupid to abuse this great chance I have of working till retirement.

I can comfortably get to my workstation via public transit, I have to do some transfers and mix of choices of how far I wish to push my chair-I still must charge at all times in this worries me a bit and I may have to take some time to get those batteries. The coffee is free in the office but there isn't much to a coffee cup there. I have access to water and ice and there is a cafeteria downstairs where I can get breakfast and lunch! The prices are extremely doable. Technically one half hour for lunch which is good if I get there it 8 AM then I leave at 4:30 PM which should be really good in the winter and the time of little light, cold weather and occasional snow and slush. You know I said I haven't made. I will write more about staff and parent agency next time. Have a safe and wonderful Fourth of July.

No comments: