Monday, September 10, 2012

Just Push It!

I realized in terror this morning as I was about ready to mount my powerchair that the chair had not actually been plugged in all weekend and there was only at 56% charge, not nearly enough power to get me into the office—this is weird since I thought I had the chair plugged in all weekend and the lights looked as if they were charging but obviously not. Fortunately I was up In time and I replugged the chair and it started charging and then I leaned back and let the chair charge. I was going to have to miss my regular bus to let my chair charge for an extra 30-45 minutes. I was hoping this would be enough to get me into work. I tipped my chair back and waited and charged and charged and waited.


You know there is nothing so slow as watching a battery being charged—as you may know I have to charge my batteries every morning once I get to work but usually I am busy answering the phones and I don’t notice the charge time as when there is nothing else to do but wait and hope I will be able replace enough charge to get me to my next point of power access. Now, granted, I acknowledge I have been dragging my feet as to getting a new set of batteries, which I would/well greatly reduce this power terror I find myself more and more frequently.

The bus I take into the train station come on the half and hour and I felt I was going to charge s well as I could by the time I had to leave to get me to the train which would get be into the call center by the time my shift starts. So, when I started out my charge indicator shown, but I knew this was mostly ‘surface charge’. “ surface charge” is a lite charge not deep for long distance travel. By the time I got to the bus stop I was 71 percent and the time I got off the train, downtown I was at 43 percent. I zipped straight into work and by the time I got to driveway down I was thirty percent not in the red zone yet but I was getting close but I knew I was OK by the driveway, it was all downhill from there. When I was with in a block or two of my building I knew I was safe because if I did lose power I knew I could call someone from United Way and they would actually come and push me the rest of the way in to my charger at my desk…I did it though. I made it all the way in without having to ask for assistance but the time has come I had better serious consider taking the time and getting new cores and stop doing this silly Seinfeld skit of seeing just how far I can push my charges.

No comments: