Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cave In


I just got off the phone with Rehabilitation. I was returning a call from the rehab nurse who was responding to my request yesterday for a Home Evaluation that event when an occupational therapist is dispatched to your actual living environment to see and recommend what can be done to make your home more livable, making me more independent. I have been fighting this incursion into my personal space for at least three years now. My primary physical therapist, Sue began making the suggestion which it did not take very seriously. Her suggestions seemed pie-in-the-sky to me, costing lots of money and being physically impractical in the housing we currently live in. It's funny how these professionals think – – true, these professionals operate in the “best practices” concept their suggestions just seem over the top to me. I would just look at Sue and she would make the suggestions shake my head and cruelly laugh, like she didnot know which is talk about . I'm sure I hurt her feelings on more than one occasion. Really, I did not want someone coming into my house and taken over the way I live.

So I don't know if I am mellowing or just exactly what but I am revisiting these ideas of having an OT command my house and recommend options which might make my living here more independent and long-term. Maybe it's because I finally got into the wellness program, or maybe it's the testosterone regimen that I thought it went on our maybe it's the increased difficulty I seem to be having just doing my activities of daily living. Maybe this seeming success I am enjoying through retirement, wellness and testosterone therapy. This is all weird and him having to sneak up on it but when I do I think I have seen all this has really helped me and seems to be somewhat restorative and just exciting.

So, I imagine in a couple weeks I'm going to have an occupational therapist come into my house wander through and see how I live. I think I know the therapist who will do the evaluation and she is one I've seen that wellness and she is also a close friend of my physical therapist, Sue. I guess what I'm saying is that I trust this person, I see how she interacts with her clients but I'm at the rehab unit she seems to be very very good. I even feel some pending excitement as I consider this move make my living environment more accessible. I am hoping for major recommendations on getting in the shower. I also hoping for recommendations on getting on and off the commode and maybe even getting in and out out of bed.I know these are the basics but these are the things I struggle with on a day-to-day basis. And I'm up for anything that will make this time of my life easier to deal with. The time is right, we are fortunate to have a few extra dollars that we can devote to our lives right now and why not spend some of that money before that money de-values any further. This is the time the time is now carpe diem!


No comments: