Tuesday, July 09, 2013

What Difference A Year Makes.



Yesterday was my weekly attempt at volunteerism at United Way 211 the last workstation I haven't before retirement. You remember I elected to continue answering the phones on Mondays as a volunteer. I must say this decision is one of the best I have made. This weekly sojourn back to the world of work is challenging, invigorating and most of all fun. I truly enjoy getting up on Monday mornings early getting dressed and heading out to catch my bus and train that takes me downtown. If I did not have this opportunity I'm not quite sure what I would've done.

So with just a little fanfare I went out of my way yesterday technology to my fellow workers at 211 that yesterday was my one year anniversary is coming to 211. Even though I was not truly employed by 211 or even the state for the full year my residency online I still count experience one whole year. I thought it was cute the way most people acknowledge the passing of a year. The staff of course seemed delighted that I had an anniversary of such magnitude. I mean what they say certain like smile and nod your head when a child says “ look I tied my shoes!”. Staff also indicated just how much they enjoyed having me around, I mean really what you say free labor and free labor as good and adorable as me? :-)

Still I went from a small four person shop, no one being less than four years old to a vibrant, exciting young population of employees all enamored in the flow of doing good. Fresh faces, wide smiles and can do personalities was almost too much for me to handle. It was such a rah rah mentality that I didn't think I would survive my first week but I did. I gave these guys the benefit of the doubt my doubt. Luckily I was insulated from white toothed curtain of United Way by 211 staff where I was billeted. To a certain degree 211 is almost as new United Way as I. 211 and the relationship to United Way is another story will explore at another time. Suffice to say I recognized staff 211 my fellow operators as real people dealing with real issues every day on the phone. 211 came over en masse from the food bank a very rough and tumble group in my estimation. I felt safe at 211.

United Way staff is huge I was overwhelmed with the shiny new faces scrubbed every morning and dying for a challenge. I was pressed with United Way organization and how organized the operation was if not a little chagrined at their focus on fundraising. Now mind you they have great focus on projects of doing good. They are major operation work as such and all workshop they really get their projects done and really raise lots of money. The. Professionals the kind were going places. United Way stop along the way of their corporate ladder climb. But I've got to know these guys over this last year and I can really say I love them all! That statement is korney as hell but really, this is how I feel. I have watched each one of these guys put in massive hours on their individual projects. They come early for meetings and stay late for their events. They all take their business of doing good personally and with vigor. I doubt I could ever fit in United Way employee not that I would ever want to, really but belonging to such a group seems like it might be fun. They'll never get closer than 211 and even in 211 I've always been just volunteer.

I love this year, the year went too fast, but at this point in my life everything is going way too fast.



No comments: