Sunday, July 14, 2013

Do Something Today!



I think the biggest challenge I am experiencing in retirement is just to do something, anything. I'm so thankful I have kept working or rather volunteering at 211. Even the one day a week helps me structure my week so that I keep the feeling that I have something to do. I know this is somewhat oversimplified but I can see I don't have something pressing that I might just do nothing and pass away the whole day and this is unforgivable. A whole day is a gift beyond measure and I need to use each day I have as a gift. I find it amazing how Swift the day can go,in the blink of an eye the day can be gone.

I think I am finally coming to grips with the guilt I think I was experiencing without having to go to work every day. I have finally allowing myself the gift of sleeping in enough to shake off the “ drag of sleep” one gets when one does not get the proper amount of sleep. It is amazing how long one accepts a state of being in that state of being is exposed as being preventable. I think I am past that feeling of dragging through a day due to lack of sleep and it's great.I find it also amazing how easy it is to slip back in to that that mode of “ doing nothing” and just coasting through the day with nothing to show for how many hours of consciousness I experienced.

So now I'm trying to have some good hand, something to do for all my waking moments. A book to read whether it be electronic are hard copy. My sister dumped a box load of paperbacks this last family reunion. I am amazed at how many titles I find interesting were in this box. The box is a mini gold mine. I'm going to keep one title under my pillow on my bed to read before going to sleep each evening. But I'm also going to keep a number of books aside to have this and when the grid/Internet goes down. I sometimes worry about the titles on my E list and what I would do if the unthinkable happens and were thrown back to a non-electric time. I would have something to read therefore something to do. So now even if I am reading fiction I'm doing something that is all right by me. So do something, anything do something and still my days with action. I need to make marks on paper. Even if they're just scribbles I need to bring about Mark Art. I literally have pads and pads of blank art paper. I need to fill these up with Mark marks even if just squiggles. My time is limited and I need to make the most of the time I have left.


Do something, anything, I must write more leave evidence of my existence of the time I lived on this small dusty ball we call Earth. Do I sound desperate? I think I'm having withdrawal fromThe Grapes Of Wrath which I just finished it is amazing to be so affected by a piece of literature. The characters of this book had to keep doing something every minute just to exist in this piece about the American depression. The book truly ends weird and I'm still having to wrap my brain around the ending but I can see why the volume is an American classic. Read it if you have not read it before. I know this is odd ramblings, maybe Sunday ramblings I don't know all I know is do something today.

No comments: