Wednesday, July 31, 2013

On being a better person


. My life to some degree has fallen into a routine that's good. I think right after retirement I was floundering having too much time not knowing what to do with this newfound time. I think I was wise by keeping some contact with my previous life by volunteering at 21. That works for one day a week. Then I strongly got into the Wellness program and this is great. It fills a whole afternoon three days a week of going down to rehab and working out. I believe I am now seeing good results, positive results in my body and it myself in my mind. I'm focused on working out and making my physical body better. I think I've dropped some weight and and pumped up by attitude about myself.

I still felt myself sinking into a bit of depression. I've had a couple moments of anxiety and general fear of what I don't know, or I didn't know until one evening while lying in bed was trying to figure out what was missing in my life. I remembered earlier that day visiting with one of the folks I associate with at United Way and telling him halfheartedly, jokingly that I felt I One step ahead of the dark side by doing good works. Now these good works don't have to be totally conscious. Just by my work in the disabled field I was constantly doing good works whether I want to or not, it was part of the job. When I'm lucky enough to be exposed to this group of people in desperate need of information to their problems with disability I often go beyond just the basics of their question and give them much more information, ideas and possibilities that they might consider when coming to grips with the life of disability. I realize without my work I don't have that easy access to people in need and I think that has had an impact on my life. I believe the person needs to be doing good, to be helping out their fellow being. I found doing so when doing good is not part of your job cabby quite challenging. I also noticed that many times during the day I am given opportunities to act out and I fail to act on those opportunities. How stupid am I? Twice yesterday for example, I was on the tarmac and people, homeless, possibly, folk asked me for money. Now, I used to carry two or three dollars that I could have one of these people and be on my way. I had the money but when they came up to me I turned cold and either just rolled past are made some comment like” not today”. So this is not me, or is it? I need to get back to not questioning why this person is asking me for money and just give and be done with it. Am I that shallow that I cannot do this. My day is not so busy that I can't pass up my fellow man as I have been doing. I believe myself is telling me” slow down” and help do your part, share your blessings. This is easy, you just have to give part of yourself to somebody else. I must confess I've been neglecting my neighbor, an ancient who does not have much time left on this planet. I can only visit with this person and good weather since their steps to his home and I cannot enter without lots of help. I used to go over to his house every day and visit sometimes for a few minutes sometimes for a couple hours but I did it and I don't do it now. Now, I must force myself to do this and make time to do this – – where's my spontaneity?


There it is, on this last day of July 2013. I am going to try to recalibrate myself to be a better person spend less time on the computer, in the Internet and focus on my fellow man and hopefully feeling better about myself.

No comments: