Friday, August 21, 2015

I Well Ride!



I finally did it! I know I railed on the past about paratransit and have it really does violate a lot of personal rights that I think people disabilities Have. As many readers know I worked great deal of my career as a transportation corridor for an Independent living Center in Salt Lake. I fought paratransit for a host of reasons trying to encourage people with disabilities To ride mainline service, fixed routes or regular bus routes. This was a national feeling of the independent living of course it never caught on and people disability sold out for the most part and went to paratransit.So, over the years I pretty much ignored paratransit however in order to take advantage of one of paratransit's functions here in Salt Lake City I've caved in and I've elected to go through the process being evaluated for inclusion to the ranks of paratransit riders. This is totally self-serving and I confess I'm a weak vessel but I don't plan to use paratransit if I am eligible however I do plan to use paratransit card which will allow me to ride Fixed route buses without charge. I don't mind paying a fair I really believe $1.25 to deal.

To be honest I did not know what to expect at paratransit evaluation. They never really set how long the process would take and I cannot figure out why it would take long at all at as I said I'm going through the process. He showed up the paratransit service center this morning at the appointed time 9:30 AM and we got on with. I spent some time with the past bus driver who been elevated some sort of transit counselor in the program. We chatted she took notes and I was a good boy. Following this 20 minute visit she turned me over to Alex who actually did the clipboard thing and ran me through the system. In some ways The experience is pretty entertaining. In some ways it felt like a sheepdog going through trials. The areas laid out in a huge room seriously, I would say quarter football field in size. You have a number of tests laid out native ramps that supposedly mimic real-life scenarios that a person has to negotiate with their wheelchairs and are tested. There is even simulated crosswalk with crossing lights to test your ability to cross the street in the significant amount of time needed during the lifecycle. There is another section of gravel to see how a person negotiates gravel walks. There is even a full-size bus that you have to get on then go to seating section just like on a real bus. Following this we take a walk this walk goes from the building using public sidewalks hollowly to IHC hospital, crossing the street at the end turning me loose to go On my way.


Alex informed me that the material that would be taken adjudicated to see if I actually qualified for the service and that the Authority had up to 21 days to produce a conclusion however he indicated That I would know the results much sooner. Either way it's okay with me I am going to ride the bus one way or the other. It would just be convenient flash pass rather than digging out my wallet and buy a transfer or ticket. I don't feel good about what I did but I will try.

No comments: