Friday, September 25, 2015

National Action SLC



Over the years sure I have commented off and on about my involvement in direct confrontation actions in the area of disability. This is a rule I do not relish it was something I could do that was part of my job description, or at least I thought was part of my job description and I treated it as such. I've never gotten arrested as a result of my direct action confrontation but many of my college have. I really have never become involved on the national level for one reason or another, most likely because I rarely went on the business trips where national actions were happening.


Last week it came to my attention that local ADAPT is hosting a national action Salt Lake City next week or beginning Sunday. Quite frankly I be surprised if they pulled in many national adapters but you never know and I feel I better be ready. I have been contacted a couple of times by Barbara Toomer who is sort of all things ADAPT in this city – –And country for that matter. I've been invited to a couple of the planning but really if not been inspired to the point of attending but with physical workouts and broken power chairs I haven't been really quite available. But maybe I'll drop in on the the pre-meeting for the Sunday action. It sounds like it's going to be a march from downtown Salt Lake up to the state capital building. I really think this will only have an impact If three or 400 chairs show up. But I would like to join in the March as a show of solidarity. I'll be quite interested to see if and how the local Independent living Center is planning to participate. If it sounds like I'm a bit reticent in this whole event is because I've dealt these folks before, at least the local group and have never really seen a lot of organization take place. There volunteer group that you know what they say about volunteer groups only being as strong as the weakest link is true and anyway something like this takes a lot of planning. At least I think it does. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm willing to be supported. Going to the planning meeting for the premeeting before the event on Sunday to see what comes I willat least Be able to say I was there regardless what happens. I wish I had a better chair at least one that is more comfortable and butt protective.

No comments: