Saturday, September 12, 2015

Rivers Of People – –Farmers Market


I had a pretty rough night, I tossed and turned couldn't get comfortable I couldn't slept very much But finally when daylight came and I could no longe force myself back to sleep No matter how hard I tried Dianne got me up and that felt pretty good – – much better than I should for the night that I spent. For some reason I was committed go to the farmers market today. I really like the idea of the farmers market, I have this vision of local neighbors bundling their produce together heading down to the park and having a stall where they could sell their goods. I am always somewhat dejected when I get to the park and find there are no neighbor selling your wares but professional farmer families Selling produce out of the back of their big trucks. So is not neighborhood Farmers statewide farmers. I don't know why if I think about it too hard I quickly become disenchanted and look for good reason to leave.

It's kind of weird, I got the market today after waiting for the bus which by the time that I got to the bus stop was running one hour headways. So, the market was pretty willful people when I got there, What I found in find really strange is that the vendors are in the exact same place they were last year in all the years before I've got to the farmers market. The bread vendors or Baker's were in their spot, the Dragon Lady and her melons were in her spot in the corner, Schmitz: truck of course was in that spot nothing to change. In fact I didn't even take pictures because they look exactly like the pictures I took last year and the year before. Even though it did not recognize anybody in the crowd I recognized everybody in the crowd. Lots of old folks, lots of old hippies, lots of serious young folks who wish they could have been hippies but now settle for food purists. Always amazed at the amount of Russians in the crowds. Walking around in a group talking Russian but looking like everyone else. The only thing I saw a change a little bit was the kids from the farms. You get to know them… Not know them but them They've grown a year just a little bit older. I always think about how much they probably hate being there giving up their weekends every fall to help out sell the family produce. They probably been strong-armed by parents who make deals with them are actually employ them. Like if they help out all year they will help purchase the vehicle the kid wants or more importantly help the kids a tuition the college purchased close in electronics for high school. It's the age-old story the kids are always indentured servants. The kids looked healthy and most of them actually looks sort of okay climbing into the truck bringing out watermelons, bags of corn boxes of tomatoes in all other items of produce.


Truth be told I wondered why I wanted to be there the second I got there. There are tons of people and dogs and kids everywhere.. I had to get into rivers of people flowing in one direction or another. It's not that great deal of food wise or moneywise it's just something to be which is good for me. What I needed so when I go somewhere on Monday and they ask you what I did this weekend I have something to tell “oh! I went to the Farmer's market and got some corn”. I will have to say all I didn't do anything just hung out. This is important. I did something I got up I got dressed for a bus to the farmers market and came back. Perhaps that's what it's all about being part of the flow of river people at the farmers market.

No comments: