Thursday, October 12, 2006

Here I Go Again

We just ended a quarter which means I must develop a report for my advisory board. This should be a fairly simple event. Hit a couple of keys and I should get a statistical document which will show increase of decrease in calls and the destination and where the calls came from. This is a fairly simple document but once again the soft ware I use C-base which has been which is a local operation, really just a two man group here in Salt Lake has crashed. This is a complicated story with a complicated history but the bottom line is I CANNOT ACCESS MY DATA! I cannot make a honest the report to give to my board. This happens every quarter. I have tried to go through our IT people but State IT is not supposed to work on the problem because the software is not sanctioned by the State. The IT person who answered my plea this morning did work with me (off the book) but we could not even find the Data base. Not being able to find the data base really worries me.

I called the developer we bought the software from and he is in Virginia for an extended period of tike because we donot need him as much as we need his techie man Juan. Juan really knows the software and has saved our butts ore then once when the software has crashed like what is happening now. Of course there was not immediate solution…”:We’ll get back to you” solution. I call this guy 98.6 cause his name is Keith calls me back to say that Juan will be at my office on Monday about 12:00. Great he is going to charge me 25.00/hour and still has to break into the data base. This will leave me less then 12 precious hours to formulate some sort of report of this data.

I have had it though—this is manufactured stress and I do not need it. I know I can control better then what is happening here. I have decided to junk this software as soon as I can pry what data I can from the data base. Next I am going to the state to see what they use and see if we can get the same software to report our data. I assume since State uses this software they must also “support”. If this is not doeable then I am going to force State to let us know what software they will support and get it. I gotta have a data retrieval device which we can depend on.

I gotta call on my cell as I was going home tonight. The fam is mobilizing to move my mom this weekend. They were calling to see if I wanted her electric bed because if I did they would drop the bed as they passed our house moving mom from my Aunts place. So if mom did not have the bed I most likely would not have known at all. However, I was called last night by my brother Paul, but I missed the call but I suspect the call had to do with my mom’s moving party tomorrow. I do believe the weekend will bell a challenge.


No comments: