Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oh the Pain , the Pain, the Searing Pain




I might be sensationalizing a bit but the pain is truly there and I have finally gotten to that level of pain that I have been motivated to called the vendor where I purchased the chair. You all have to realize that I have to be hurting pretty bad to do this. Case in point, this morning I actually had tears streaming down my face but I don’t know if the tears were from the pain of just the wind in my eyes. I suspect the wind is doing something to my tear ducts making them tear. I must have looked pathetic.

There is something going on though. The pain is being generated from sitting in my power wheelchair the wrong way. I know this because I get home from work with pain so bad I am afraid I may not be able to transfer out of my chair but as soon as I take the pressure off my back the pain almost immediately subsides and vanishes. Usually after I sleep all night I can stay in my power chair for a good part of the following day or even all day but not lately. This morning I was l almost in puke pain. There for I “jumped” into my manual chair as soon as I got into the office and have felt better all day.

I started using my power all day a couple of weeks ago. I found that staying in the chair was better for running round the office plus I did not have all this transfer drama at lunch when I would go out to lunch or when I go home in the evening. But, I have found out riding in the chair that long is doing a number on my back. I asked the shop guy I had on the phone what could be the issues. He would not say anything over the phone. So I know I am going to have to go ion an be evaluated by one of their “therapists”. He quoted me ½ hour at $100.00/hour like he was doing me a favor. He said it should be easy to tell if the problem was me or my chair. The guy on the phone did indicate that the “body” does change over time and adjustment then must be made and if the equipment has worn out for one reason or another then the insurance could be “activated” and be financially helpful. Say, if this does happen then I will have to once again enter into the medical arena to have my MD write up a script. I think my cushion HAS been letting me down the last couple of months , maybe I DO need a new cushion. This really would not surprise me. Dianne is also talking about perhaps I should consider seeing another Doc, maybe a physiatrist from the University of Utah Medical Center. I have been dreading this but maybe the time is getting closer maybe the time is here.

Now, I have decided to be evaluated I want to have the evaluation done an get this pain behind me. But then I find the therapist I want is on vacation and will not even be back in the office until next Monday. Hey, a therapist is a therapist s why not have one of the other therapists in their stable to the job but “Jerry” is at the hospital all day but will be in tomorrow. So, I left a message on “Jerry’s” machine and hopefully he’ll be calling tomorrow so I can set up an appointment before the weekend. I am sure this is just the beginning of another great adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get a new cushion!