Monday, October 02, 2006

Southbound to A.F

What a weird morning I traveled over to A.F. twenty minute interstate drive,

South, to the Alpine school district building where the fall conference of the UFOMA (Utah Facility Operations & Maintenance Association) was in session, in fact I was giving the first breakout session of the conference. I was not aware I was giving am break out session. I thought I was just giving a light overview of my office and what we do.

Well, I think I did everything right down to getting to the building a half hour early. I was able to netgotiate traffic perfectly, get to a bathroom and put myself back together with enough time to catch my breath. I finally checked in with the person who called me. The set me at a tables and said was on in 15 minutes. I was floored when I was given an agenda and saw I had been allocated 45 minutes to speak! I was set at a table in the front of the room at the same table of a fellow near my age with a glorious white beard and beard. In another life this guy would have made a great biker. I introduced myself to what or who turned out to Bud. I turned to him and asked…”what would do you want to come away from this presentation. He told me and what he told me helped clarify and focus my thoughts. The title of my presentation was “Egress and ADA”. Egress? Yes I know what the word means I just didn’t understand. Rather then try to bluff my way I let know that A. this was going to be a lot shorter then planned B. that there was going to be a lot more audience participation then usual.

What I learned was, egress maintenience meant to these people “How do you keep access paths open.” Great thought. I have never thought of this formally I fight the concept all the time. Nature abhors a vacuum! Produce a hallway or room free anything and there will be something placed there in 24 hours time. I discussed my agony with kids in public schools, the building might be accessible but the gym or auditorium is not. I had to always snag some buff parent to drag me up at least one flight of stairs to the auditorium and pray I don’t need to use the restroom till after the event.

It turned out to be a great session. I learned a lot and I think I was able to also able to give some great input. If nothing else I was able, to give these guys some perspective from someone who actually uses a wheelchair for mobility and give a face egress and how egress affects me daily. These guys want to be able to punish the people who make life difficult for wheelchair users and large hipped folks. They want real “Access cops” handing out real fines to those who block the way. Access cops won’t be seen today or tomorrow but maybe these 60-80 UFOMA folks will start the wheels of justice in their slow turn to someday make pathways free and clear for all.

No comments: