Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Morning


















Dianne is back safe and sound from her trip to the cabin. Anakah, Gabe and Dianne seemed to have a great time. They took pictures a few I m adding to this post. I sensing this post is going to be a short “weekend” post. Not a lot happened between the pain and cold I elected to stay in and compute and red. I finshed my Stephen King, checked my email and drank coffee. I did run to Sam’s to fill-up with gas and stopped at Lowes and picked up a hand held shower to replace the “hand held” in our show now which has sprung a leak: a sharp jet of water which stings and confuses me in the shower.

I spent time with my mom yesterday at her care facility. Mom is doing much better it seems. Her spirits were up and she seemed happy to see me.. We visited for a couple of hours. She shared with me that she had wanted to go to breakfast with her companions at the care center but she had been informed the staff had already put her breakfast together. Mom said that it was OK but I could tell she had actually wanted to breakfast with her peers. I think her going to breakfast was an admission or perhaps an acceptance that she was “here to stay” this care facility was her new and last home. Mom shrugged her shoulders as if to say that this is the way that it is. I almost sensed she wanted say “Why bother, you live through three four wars a couple of marriages, bury your husband, live with your sister and brother-in-law and get cancer and wind up in a long term care facility. Mom informed me that her sister and brother-in-law are cleaning up the house making the house ready for sale. They are moving to an assisted living complex in Provo. Sounds like an upscale place mom says the management of the Provo facility charges you for everything nothing seems to be included like at Mom’s facility. I suppose this is one way to accept the way life ends.

Mom grew tired, she says she is always tired now. Mom would close her eyes and try to listen but I could tell would soon loose herself behind her eyelids slipping into a light sleep. My mother has bone cancer my grandfather Harker, her father had bone cancer, and incredible pain filled Grandfather’s last days. Mom indicated, some what nonchalant, she hope she would not live long enough to have to go through this.

What could I say to this? I assured her that medicine had come along in the forty since his death and took my leave promising I would see her soon and that if she needed anything to please call. My brother is coming down from Boise next week and my sister in the week following that. Mom seems to be getting more and more tired..

No comments: