Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Another Lost Day.




I spent the entire morning at the local Vocational Rehabilitation Annual meeting, which is actually their awards meeting. Now get this straight. I AM NOT REHAB!!!! I WORK FOR THE State but not Rehabilitation. I was at this meeting today because I was getting a ward for service to the State and not as an employee but as a member of an advisory board I have served on for about the past 12 years. The award is a joke. I serve on this board because it’s in my job description, they feed me a very good lunch every other month and I can comp the time out for the missed lunch. This is enough for me. The only reason I agreed to receive the award was Gary the Director asked me. I know how hard it is to find recipients for these kind of things. I guess to be honest I must also agree that receiving this award raises the visibility of my operation—which services this agency with disability information.

Cecilia, my partner in the office, went with me or met me at the event. Now Cecilia is great. She is a natural crowd pleaser and crowd worker. Cecilia came to document the award. She did a great job too. I will try to post some images tomorrow when I get back to the office. Cecilia is an optimist unlike me, the perpetual cynic. She actually got the Director of the entire agency to pose with me after receiving the award. The images came out great—I look a little goofy in some but will go great in our next newsletter.

So, I spent the morning at the Division for the Blind meeting room, heard a pretty good speaker and got the award and a free box lunch. I really tried to mingle after the event that was way too hard. I was sitting in the back of the auditorium o I ended first in line so I got my lunch quickly. I have seen State employees react to free food before and it is not a pretty sight. I found a quiet class room and quietly but quickly ate my humble box lunch and headed back to work. Remember on a game day, or all assembly day in Jr high you could never get back to the school mode after the event. It was like your mind had checked out and seemed many of the teachers were “gone “ for the day too. So, too when I got back I just puttered round the office making sure the phones were covered. Cecilia took off on a lunch date with her sister and never came back which was cool with me. I figured she earned the time off for her photo journalism. I had a couple of near crises calls which took me right to 5:00 and beyond.

So with today’s meeting I have had a meeting out every day this week. I hope to have a whole day in the office tomorrow. I am trying to get a project done before Friday but I need a good four or five uninterrupted hours to focus on it. I have accrued more hours I have to use before the end of the pay period, Friday. So, I hope to get off early Friday for the weekend.

I did not bring my award home from the office. I think I am too embarrassed to be seen with it.

No comments: