Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Prepping for Battle

Dianne put this document together for me to take with me to the meeting Friday with my durable medical equipment vendor--I have images with the actual document which I may or may not apply to this entry.

ISSUES WITH THE NEW POWER CHAIR
10/11/05
1. Require an on-board charger system. Does not meet daily needs without an onboard charger. It was explained that a full battery charge would meet my needs, but it dozenÂ’t. Why was an onboard battery charger not quoted (isnÂ’t it a standard option or was it cut to get insurance approval)? Regardless, I seriously need an onboard charger due to the nature of my work (requires frequent travel for presentations and meetings) - especially prior to winter (and hot hot summers) when I could be (and have been) stranded in the elements. I mainly use public transportation and use my power chair to get to work, go to meetings across the Metro area, then back home.

2. Seating system is painful and near intolerable!
· Sit on coccyx, unable to sit to the back of the chair
· Cushion seems too short for my leg length – hang way out in front
· Left leg hangs off the side of the chair
· Unable to move back - to pressure release, recline - even semi-recline, or enter my van without bending neck and slumping forward with a now quite painful cervical fusion (40 years post C4-5 spinal fracture)

3. Back swivel wheel squeaks loudly when turning despite oiling

4. Front stabilizing wheel tires already come off and are shot. Heavier wear tires available?

5. I am unsure why I ended up with an expensive chair that doesnÂ’t meet my needs and what needs to be done at this point. Something went wrong.

6. This was the most expensive chair IÂ’ve ever had and it seems to suit me less than any other. As insurance will not likely cover another chair for some time, it is critical to get this made right. This could be the last chair of my life!

7. Will work with Dr. Longe and Altius if needed to resolve problems or even appeal that another chair be provided. Question physical therapistÂ’s expertise in making wheelchair recommendations and may advise insurance company not to use her services without additional training or experience.

8. I will do my part - whatever it takes to get this right.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

you go well prepared = ) i hope everything gets resolved. worry not about that last blogpost of mine you commented on. it was more about a situation with some people i know at work. people are just dumb sometimes and somehow i ended up in the middle. all better now tho = ) love you!