Saturday, October 22, 2005

Soccer Uncle



I took some time I had earned this last pay period yesterday or loose it. I did not go into the office yesterday, Auni and Dianne had contacted my sister in law who informed her it was my nephew’s soccer tournament. So Dianne and Auni were going to go over and watch the action. The kid had a game in the morning and one in the afternoon. The games were all the way cross town and I was not sure if I wanted to go on a search and appear at the soccer game but I would see what would happen.

I spent the morning at my workers office getting them to turn some of my 401 K loose. The process was much less painful the I had anticipated the process would be. I was in and out-start to finish in less then an hour. I should have a check in a few day. No problem. I was feeling energized so I thought I would do the trek cross town and find the soccer fields. Forty-five minutes later I had found he tournament. Of course there was, in the best case scenario little parking and no disabled parking, let alone parking with enough space to park a van and deploy the wheelchair lift. I cruised the soccer field twice”sharking” for a parking space and gave the thought of finding something close in. I noticed a church across the street, about a block away from the fields and figured this would do. I was the only vehicle in the parking lot. After all I had my power chair and I can go just about anywhere with the Jazzy.

The time was just after lunch and Dianne indicate that lunch as part of the agenda so I figured I had missed them. I still was not totally sure this was the exact soccer field, they may have been others and the neph may have been at one of those. And tough I an a committed uncle I was just about “searched” out. I checked in to the Operations Table and found there WAS a team fitting my neph’s description and they would re-convene at 1:00 for the next game. I figure I would hand for the next round. If I did not see anyone I knew by then I was off the hook. I had made to effort. I was going to go home.

However, the fam appeared at 12:55 with bags from Burger King—not only were they impressed to see me they had food left over from the ‘Light Eaters’” cold chicken and cold oily fried but it all tested good to me. I was the hero, I came ALL the way out to see the neph play his game. When ever we how up they make it out like this is a major event. We have always told them let us know when the kids play and we will make n effort to be there.

So I took the hero’s welcome: the crip unc who (not only took off work) but motored all the way to the soccer field to cheer on the little guy. Easy duty if you don’t count the fact it took me 66.00 to fill the tak this morning.

No comments: