Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Clock Is Ticking

DAY 12

On October 12th I was approached by UTA(see October 13th blog) to see what I thought about limiting disabled ridership on certain UTA vehicles due to the elevated risk factor regarding UTA's use of a less then safe bridge-plate for their “San Jo” pronounced “san ho” or just “Ho” light rail cars.

I am going to use the October 12 date for my starting point to count down the days till UTA gets the bridge-plates manufactured. I am using this date because that is the date the UTA spoke with me. Now, I have learned the same rep has spoke with other people if the disabled community and got their input as well which is cool—it's what I would have expected. My question is what date did they quote for completion? IT does make a difference to me. I want those “Jo's” safely use able soon as possible. It's only fair! Once again, able bodied folks are getting the ride when folks with disabilities are waiting up. Same old story because of costs we are regulated to a separate but equal, bastardized transit consumer status. I did not feel good about the trade off then ( there was not trade off except not to make too much of a stink for at least 45 days) and I don't feel good about it now. But I can watch the clock and if they cannot meet their promise then I feel some sort of reparation is in oder.

So, using October 12 as the beginning date of the 45 day count I come uo with Friday November 25. The day after Thanksgiving. This date is straight calendar days. No holidays or weekends. Of course, in my naiveté I did not ask any of these very important questions. Truth be know I was wrestling with the interpersonal battles of “was I a sell out or, why the hrll was I even being asked?” I really was not thinking very straight.

No comments: