Saturday, September 15, 2007

Better But Not Buff




I am such a goose. I have been attending the physical therapy sessions for two weeks now, that's four sessions and I am feeling like I am getting “tighter”. Dianne even said she thought I was getting “tighter” I think I may have broken my head more seriously then I did. I am doing more push ups and really focusing time on the rickshaw, a mid-evil device I believe belongs in the realm of cosmetic rehabilitation. I brought this up to my therapist and I think I hurt his feelings because he actually banned me from using the “C” word in his rehab gym—give me a break. ?When I first rehabbed back in '66 the therapists had all these doofy signs scattered round the place like “Can't, not spoken here” or “No room for quitters” and the like. I just thank God that the Rocky series had not started them. I am sure there would have been images of Sly and quotes from all the Rocky movies everywhere. But I actually think Randy was serious when band one of my favorite words. So now I am going to be forced to drag down my old thesaurus and acquaint my self with all the synonyms for “cosmetic” that I can find.

Now get this. I realize the University of Utah is a teaching hospital but I am getting pushed off on to PT students. I don't care if they're graduate students and I donot mind being used for the occasional teaching prop but every single session and the PT, my PT is having to be “Mr professor”. I all of the sudden become the invisible piece of meat on the table while these “baby PTs” poke and prod. They really do that thing when I say something , you know to add something to the conversation, they just act like I am sort of a trained monkey even talking about me

in the third person. I really thought those days were in the past. Actually one of the PT2b s is sort of bearable He is from Philadelphia and we really did not really start communicating until found out he was from Philly and he asked if I had ever been there and I said sure back in February and then I think Philly( That's what I am going to call him” finally saw me as a person and not a teaching prop. There were four PT2bs at one time crowded round my body on the mat trying to push me over but I resisted.

Back to the rickshaw. I really pushed myself on the rickshaw yesterday , doing five sets of 20 reps. Even then I don't think I really did all I could do. The rickshaw is kind of beguiling too. It seems easy at first but with doing twenty reps per set I did find my self really beginning to feel the stress five or so reps of the third and fourth sets. /so maybe Randy knows what he is doing and maybe he is pushing exactly as I need to be pushed but well see.






No comments: