Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lake Stink and Taxes

Lake stink and dust filled the air this morning as I rolled out the door. I was taken back by the amount of dust filling the air. I had expected clouds and rain from the forecast. The wind had blown all night, howling from a crack Dianne had left in the window. Change was blowing in and I welcomed the change, the wind noise was somehow soothing as I lay buried under the comforter Dianne had thrown over me as she always does before climbing over me to her side of the bed.

The cold front shook the house and rattled the windows and left me with mild dread for the day to come. I have meeting out the last two hours of the day—which I don’t like since I’ll have to leave the phone unattended when I am gone since TT will be gone also leaving at 2:00 or 3:00 or what ever. I just hope that the calls are few and the callers will call back tomorrow. The winds billowed in from the North crossing the Great Salt Lake as the came bringing in the lake’s stench. You see, as far as I am concerned the Great Salt Lake is a dead body of water. The lake has no outlet the water just sits and basically stagnates. The Lake is salty as well remnants from the prehistoric Lake Bonneville when the lake cover most of Utah, Sure some argue the brine shrimp are life form but just barely and I stand corrected from wickapedia. Even though the lake IS technically, dead the brine shrimp do live it and the and hosts of birdlife live round its shores—go figure. The place still stinks especially when the wind blows from the North.

We are getting killed, again, by taxes this year. I bet we will owe thousands this year. When I got home last night Dianne was diligently working on the computer and tax forms in a much better mood then I would have anticipated. Social Security lump sums and me not having enough taken out of my checks are scourging us terribly. But we grin and bear it and move on and hope for a break next year. The taxes are not done yet, and Dianne is poised to work and finish them today and I shall have to sign them and send them off.

As I said, I have meetings today, so I drove in, adding to the general pollutions and valley stink. I also figured I would cave in to comfort if the forecast of rains and possible snow should come to be..I am so weak.

No comments: