Tuesday, April 29, 2008

OCD KENDO

When I was younger and still able bodied I was very much into the martial arts however, I never was able to get any professional instruction. There were not the Dojos round in the 60’s there are now, just wacky instruction manuals advertised in the back of comic books which was the basis of great ridicule if ever found in your passion. I think I would have eventually grown out of martial arts entirely if I had not had my disability or maybe I would have gotten my black belt. My son, Mark A., did and I guess I somewhat vicariously lived and experienced the whole blackbelt thing through his experience. So I do, have an appreciation for the martial arts. But I have to admit I really donot understand kendo. At the Japanese festival I went to last Saturday there were a number of kendo schools who had their student give presentations. I could not believe how slow this martial art is and almost how comical. I swear I thought these guys were obsessive compulsive, jumping round, screaming really weird and hitting each other over the head with their wooden sticks. Their actions were almost comical in fact much of the audience was confused as to laugh or not to laugh at the antics of the helmeted warriors. I promise this is the last video I am going to post of the Japanese Festival.

No comments: