Sunday, September 21, 2008

Decisions






I am loosing my motors! I found the grim news on Friday when I checked into the wheelchair repair shop to see my electric charges were seeming to deplete way to quick. I charge my batteries every night, I have to, if I do not I am afraid I will be stranded somewhere the next day. I have an “power” indicator light which works through colors green to yellow to red and finally blinking red which means I had better charge soon or I will stop in my tracks—which is not a good thing. So, now when I leave for work with a full charge I am way into the yellow by mid morning and a b linking red light my lunch time if I choose to range at all. Luckily I have charger at the office I often plug into and at least keep my power levels up.

So I go to Magic Rest, my wheelchair place, and the bad news is the motors are going and because the motors are “going” they tend to draw more power from my batteries and show that I need a charge. Though no prices were quoted, I know if I have the motors replaced it is going to cost me upwards of $1000.00 or more and there is a strong chance the costs might be covered by my insurance this good, but this is also bad. I am being pointed in the direction of investing in a new chair entirely especially since the battle of the butt sore. The talk now is to maybe consider a power chair which actually reclines that also elevates my feet! This would take to weight off my butt and hopefully cut down on the probability of pressure sores. But I am being told if I were to invest in the motors the insurance people would be less likely to justify the expense of a new chair after replacing the motors. The Magic Rest shop tech also indicated that right now, with my chair acting so odd and the motors beginning to fail that if the insurance folk would spring for a major chair up grade it would be now. But even if the insurance people go for the upgrade they will only cover the usual 70 percent leaving the 30 percent to me which could 3000-5000.00 or maybe more. Some of these chair cost up to 30,000 or more. So, I don’t know what to do. There may be a third option. The re utilization program I am part of has many motors and I am sure I could get them at a pretty good price. Hum what to do. One of my biggest concerns is that the motors will fail on my way to or home from work or somewhere out on the train line. Many things to think about.

GD2 was over this week with her dad to mow my yard. I was able to get a couple of images of Jasmine as she flitted round the ramp and yard. I am going to follow up with GD3 soon. I noticed some new images on her mom’s Myspace account. I’ll harvest an image of Riley soon They are ally beauties.

No comments: