Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thanks Gabe!


Today was another one of those days where, because of ones disability, you always seem to be in the way. I have a ramp which is what I use to access my house, the ramp is build of wood and the seasons have taken their toll on the structure ; particularly the foot of the ramp. The snows and the rains have caused the end to begin “peeling” up making the ramp difficult to use especially in my manual wheelchair. The rails have become wobbly and some of the bracing underneath have rotted causing great concern to Dianne and to be to some degree. Luckily for us/me Gabriel, has skills in wood remodeling and volunteered to come over and do the work and today was the day.

Today was a perfect day for the job. A perfect autumn day-sunshine and the temps in the low seventies and just enough wind to make everything pleasant; Neighbors were out and the kids across the street were home giving Anakah something to do. Dianne was busy helping Gabe, getting him water, tools and just being useful. I was just in the way.

That’s the other thing when ever someone comes over to do something like this, really something for me I am driven to stay out with the person till the job is finished even if there is clearly nothing I can do to help except, really, to stay out of the way and just let them work. So I was out on the ramp reading, out on the ramp was the only place I could be or in the house since once Gabe removed the bottom of the ramp I was trapped in the house. So I sat on the ramp reading but where I sat sooner then later I was in someone’s way. I would move and get situated and then move again. Then I would go back in the house until the guilt would move me back on the ramp. The project took four hours and Gabe did a great job and I will be happy and grateful to Gabe and Dianne each time I go up or come down the ramp. I jut wish I could do more. Thanks gabe!!

No comments: