Monday, April 27, 2009

Delima




I have been trying to figure out how to do this post for a couple of days now. Remember, last week, when I posted about our office being broke into and my program’s computer being ripped off and the other office’s computer projector
being taken? Well, since the incident the office has seemed to be in a low boil.

Because we are a State office, anytime like the break in, or the threatening phone call has to be reported to the “mother ship” and the “mother” gets all involved in the disguise of Risk Management who begins to tell us what we are going to do or at least gives us strong input of choices we might choose. Edicts started flying: “No one stays in the office by alone” which means I leave then office at 5:30 p.m. instead of 6:00 p.m. and the doors to our office are to be locked: All this because we have the Consulate of Mexico in the offices above our offices. Oh and the coupe de grace, we are strongly considering’ moving to another building, a State building somewhere out in Egypt, in an area of the City I don’t think is anymore safe then the area we are currently in.

The problem I am having is I like this office space, in this building in this part of town with or with out the Mexicans and if it were not the Mexicans it would be the homeless drifters and if not the homeless drifters it would be the local supporters of the local professional basketball team: The Chokers. The problem is that in all likelihood we will be moving into a heartless, soulless drab government building into a cubical! A cubical with State droids walking all round like a scene from the Matrix.

The upside of the solution is the earliest we could move into the property suggested by Risk management would be a little over a over, as I understand. A building is being vacated by a sister agency, who is going to a brand new building. I guess the old building needs to be cleaned up and what ever. A year is a long time, actually, a lot of things can happen in a year, a lot of things.: A lot of things to the building, the neighborhood, the job or even me. Maybe this is a wake up call for me to appreciate how good I have things right now. To enjoy my ‘window on the west’, excellent public transit accommodations and great facility with international flavor and intrigue just upstairs.

You know, I labored under the idea the boss liked these things too, the items in this building that liked but I feel she is going to cave but more to the idea that we are paying for way to much space here then we need and the gave that the folks from Risk Management are offering her a deal a price at significant dollars per square feet less then we are now paying. Money, now there is a concept I can understand but I still don’t have to like ‘move’ decision. And again, a year is a very long time and new pandemic may make the who issue a moot point.

No comments: