Sunday, April 05, 2009

Weekend?

Why is it every time I think am going to have some time for myself I find myself slam blasted back in to child rearing?! Its not that I am complaining, ok well maybe I am complaining a little, but I am beginning to see pattern develop here.

The coveted never ending three day weekend, by never ending I mean, one week after another that I am currently enjoying as a State employee. So, last week it was Spring break and Anakah was over Wednesday night home on Thursday night and Friday night. Now, don’t get me wrong Ani is great and tons of fun but she can be high maintenance at times: Anakah likes to be watched as she play her video games, my video game, and draw with pastels. Ani has been perched at my foot with her set of pastels dutifully sketching out beautiful pastel pieces of art right along with me. Bunnies, spring flowers, tree and clouds are sketched, perfected, dates and signed and the drug into grandma for validation along with my creation. We sort of have this un spoken agreement that we will both do the exact number of creations—we start and finish about at the same time. Ani’s creations are concrete real things the way they should look, where as mine are much more abstract—a lot of drawing a picture then wiping the whole image off leaving just a breath of a memory of what had originally been.

Maybe if the spring has not had such a hard time catching on in the Inter-mountain region I would have been better able to flee the house and be outside either in my garage or taking my new chair out for a run. Actually this statement is not really true because each day An was at the house we did take off in the fridge winter spring we seem to be suffering through this year. On Friday we motored down to the cousin’s to pick up the van which was have a wheel repaired. We rode the bus and wonder round Murray where Anakah showed me where she has ballet and other old buildings of the city . Of course we stopped at Beans and Brew, KFC. Yesterday we went to Sunshine market, the local hippy high end which has recently opened in our neighborhood. And again, we were out in the snow, rain and cold air in a train ride which would never end. I was trying to find a bus which would drop us off closer to the house but I had forgotten a lot of bus routes stop operating all together on the weekends. So there back and forth train ride punctuated by a tri to the hospital where Ani could use the bathroom and gift shop and restaurant if the nine year old had been able to wear me down. All this time Anakah was running beside me or riding on the back of my new chair. She tried sitting on my lap but she is really too big for lap sitting anymore, the weight of a nine year old and her head now occludes my vision. I think Anakah was exhausted by the time we got home yesterday afternoon. I was and I had sat all the way Anakah had run the entire distance.

So maybe the lesson is accept the fate of constant involvement, Grandma did her time the firs nine years and now its my turn or term, what ever. I need to see my “constant three day weekend” as a chance to be part of my granddaughters life that I might not always have access to.

No comments: