Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Finding Michael

I just got off the line with Mike from Ogden. Mike’s a guy with a disability, whose disability has progressed to the point that now he needs a power wheelchair for getting round. Mike is currently on Medicaid which should be the program designated to get such equipment but because Mike received a manual wheelchair about a year and a half ago he thinks he is ineligible to receive another piece of equipment for another three and half years. Mike was giving my agency’s name and number because someone has heard that somehow my program has access to used power wheelchairs. This thought is partly true. We run a website which has a webpage where we allow people who have used equipment and wish to sell, trade or donate that equipment, these folks are welcome to list that equipment on our webpage called the “Salesbank”. Many folk “out there” operate under the notion that our program actually has equipment to give away. I quash that thought quick as possible, and explain what my program offers and other programs which might assist him either obtain a ‘loaner’ device or a way of procuring a whole new piece of assistive technology.

I referred Mike back to his Medicaid officer, telling Mike to let his officer know that his disability has significantly progressed in the year and a half since he got is manual chair that now he needs a power wheelchair or his mobility. This can be pretty intimating for lad like Mike—I know I have had to deal with my share of governmental bureaucrats in my life with a disability so I also referred the guy to his local Independent Living Center, who one, might have power wheelchair which Mike might use until he resolves his issues with Medicaid and two, has one of the IL staff act as an advocate for Mike to make sure the consumer does not get the “consumer around” . Now, I don’t know if his IL will come up with such a beast, but I feel they should. Most IL’s have a “loan closet” of sorts. A room stuffed with assistive technology usually donated by a family of a person with a disability after they croaked. Most of this equipment is pretty darn good some of the equipment is brand new. The IL usually has enough stuff to ‘loan’ the equipment out indefinitely if need be.

I was on the phone with Mike for at least thirty minutes. I gave out some great information which I think was right on the caller’s needs. I ended the call with Mike committing to carry through and make contact with the referrals I gave him. I disconnected the call and returned to my “In” basket to try to get something done on the grants project looming over my head when my phone rang and I connected the call to my headset and I immediately recognized Mike’s voice. It was deje vu. Mike started the call exactly as he had done before…I broke into his litany informed Mike that we had just finished a conversion and he had calls he had to make, it was like a scene from Finding Nemo. I quickly reoriented Mike to the data on his tablet of paper, or what ever he was using, he located the numbers and quickly disconnected the call. It’s been 45 minutes and Mike has not called back maybe I connected maybe I didn’t but I am sure I’ll do it all over again tomorrow one way or the other.

No comments: