Monday, October 12, 2009

One Good Turn...




I am not proud of myself but I had to do it. The more I thought about the lathe I had been contemplating purchasing in Tooele, the one I had written bout last Thursday the more I realized I had made a mistake; even if the lathe was only $90.00 or best offer. I was trying to put together a moving crew and it was just not happening. I had told the owner of the old lathe that I would contact him on Friday night or Saturday morning to firm up the sale, but if a “hot” caller called and wanted the lathe—then just let that caller have the lathe have the lathe.

Friday evening the Lathe Lady called to see what I was going to do and that a fairly hot caller had called and what should she do. I was relieved; I was just having any luck of getting a moving group together at all. I told her to let the lathe go. But, I had a major change of mind. I really had decided what I really wanted to do was to put money a side and take my time and then purchase a lathe which was better, a better lathe a lathe which was set up and ready to go. As I discussed this issue with Dianne I realized there was a lathe listed that would meet the need I had priced at what I could do and I made the call for the lathe a Rockwell 46010.

The Rockwell 46010 is an older lathe but a good lathe, Kirk was asking

$200.00 and I talked him down to $175.00 and best part Kirk lived just about ten blocks South of me. I told him I would come out and look at the machine and most likely purchase it. I was excited!

Saturday morning I called my son in law, Gabriel, to go over with me and

Lift the lathe into my van—But Gabe also has a pick-up and he ended up bringing the lathe in the pickup. The lathe is perfect and will much better meet my needs even without UCATs intervention. Kirk threw in some turning knives. The lathe came with a bowel chuck on it which we removed and I loaded a blank and I started turning and everyone took a turn even my next door neighbor Al.

I need to make room in the garage now, I have a lathe with a stand. But it’s going to be cold now and there is no heat in the garage so maybe I will still drop the lathe off at UCAT and see what they could do to make the lathe a little more accessible to me and my needs, but ne thing for sure is I will be turning again come Spring and Summer 2010 !

No comments: